• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

McCauley 7140 vs. 7440

While it will always be true the old saying " the only thing that will beat a cub, is another cub" is usually true , However the physics of a 180lb pilot vs a 95lb one is a tough thing to get around................
I still have some old VHS footage, of her getting off with a puff of wind helpin her, in 3.5 secs one year , straight out of the hole, no over the step planeing involved! Pretty impressive stuff. in the film you can hear someone in the crowd say" did you see that she went straight out " To beat that hundred pound weight advantage, she brough to the boat with the flags in it , you had to
really be "haulin the mail" as that's quite an advantage....................... she did a great job of keeping a lot of ours egos in check. Down in this low horsepower range , weight is almost always the king. Of course there is exceptions to everything, as she was beat before. Like boxing your only the champion for a while.

Last edited:
While it will always be true the old saying " the only thing that will beat a cub, is another cub" is usually true , However the physics of a 180lb pilot vs a 95lb one is a tough thing to get around................
I still have some old VHS footage, of her getting off with a puff of wind helpin her, in 3.5 secs one year , straight out of the hole, no over the step planeing involved! Pretty impressive stuff. in the film you can hear someone in the crowd say" did you see that she went straight out " To beat that hundred pound weight advantage, she brough to the boat with the flags in it , you had to
really be "haulin the mail" as that's quite an advantage....................... she did a great job of keeping a lot of ours egos in check. Down in this low horsepower range , weight is almost always the king. Of course there is exceptions to everything, as she was beat before. Like boxing your only the champion for a while.

She was in a Citabria

Glenn

Continental Sea Level power curves for the C85, C90, O-200, & 9.5:1 O-200

Note that Continental had a bad data point for the C90 at 2350 rpm. That point was low by 1 hp.

Ain't nuthin' like climbing out a 9.5 O-200 J3 landplane at 55 mph with only 3 gallons of fuel on board and a 7535 prop turning 2850 rpm for about 113 hp. Big grin while doing that.....
Caution though -- be careful not to unport the nosetank outlet.

Attachments

• Sea_Level_Hp_vs_RPM_at MP_29.0-3.JPG
    Sea_Level_Hp_vs_RPM_at MP_29.0-3.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
I hate to dig up an old thread but I have a question, what data allows the use of a 74" McCauley prop on a C-85? or was it just done? Thanks Tim

It was and still is commonly done
Possibly only legal on a Cessna 150 seaplane or Tcraft 65hp ???
Would only be an issue if you had. Insurance and there was an accident........... Most folks are just running them.

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

I am running a c90 with 7145 on my -11. It cruises about 85 mph at 2200. At my airport elevation of 3400' static rpm is about 2300.

I have a mac 74-38 with a stock o-200 on a ex cub I get 2500 rpm's on take off at 3300 msl. I am building a o-200 with c-85 pistons and a c-90 like cam. I'm curious if that prop will still work or with the added hp I will need a courser prop can't wait to see.

A little late in posting but I flew C90-8 powered 46 Cub for 10 years with a 7146 that performed extremely well. At TO it was just reaching max rpm and would cruise at 75-80 at 2200 and burn 4 1/2GPH. That was on wheels naturally.

Tom

Anyone have a cub with a 0-200 D using a catto prop? If so what length and pitch and performance are you getting

Continental Sea Level power curves for the C85, C90, O-200, & 9.5:1 O-200

Note that Continental had a bad data point for the C90 at 2350 rpm. That point was low by 1 hp.

Ain't nuthin' like climbing out a 9.5 O-200 J3 landplane at 55 mph with only 3 gallons of fuel on board and a 7535 prop turning 2850 rpm for about 113 hp. Big grin while doing that.....
Caution though -- be careful not to unport the nosetank outlet.
What is a 0200 9.5?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Back