• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Dale Carlson - DaleC - Lost in Crash

I met Dale a few years ago at the Big Su In Lu....seemed like a great guy. Blue skies and tailwinds forever Dale.

So sorry to hear this news. Dale was a great guy. My heart goes out to his family and all who knew him.

Blue skies friend!

Cafi

My regrets and prayers go out to Dale's family. It always hits close to home when a fellow pilot departs while doing something that we all enjoy.

Few of us fly at 20,000 feet so we can glide to Kansas if the engine quits, but oh, damn! The places we've been and the things we've seen and done! I hope no one cries if this ever happens to me; I'm all paid up - no debts owed on that book, brothers and sisters.

My very sincere condolences to any and all who knew Dale, and especially his family and friends.

No funeral gloom, my dears, when I am gone,
Corpse-gazings, tears, black raiment, graveyard grimness;
Yours still, you mine, remember all the best
Of our past moments, and forget the rest,
And so, to where I wait, come gently on.
_______________William Allingham, A Diary (1907).

Like Pierce said, Dale was a pleasure to be around. Those King Crab legs he and George brought to the Seminar were the best ever. I will always remember Dale with a smile on my face. He was a class act.
Prsyers for his family.

Lou

Hello all,

Thank you for the thoughts and kind comments. Steve he spoke of that trip to Texas glowingly.

Last Sunday Dad and I were sitting around and discussing building a hangar so we could build a cub from scratch.His final flight was supposed to be just another milk run.

We cannot voice our appreciation to the Coast Guard, Alaska State Troopers, Good Samaritan fishing vessel from Lazy Otter Charters, the Alaska Rescue Coordination Center, the Alaska Air National Guard, and the Federal Aviation Administration. They stuck with the search and were able to bring my father home.

A special Thank You to Spider Tracks, without the accurate pinpoint gps data, the search grid would have been delayed while the ELT signal was triangulated. With this in mind we have asked that in lieu of flowers at his celebration of life, all funds be donated to an account in his name at First National Bank Of Alaska. All funds received will be spent providing Spider Tracks to pilots and educating the flying community about the necessity to have one in your plane, especially in the rugged environment that is Alaska.

John Carlson

Last edited by a moderator:
John,

Thank you so much for posting this. We are all deeply saddened by the loss of your father.

sj

John, I found some pictures of your Dad when he was here in 2010. We had a great time and the crab legs he sent were great.
Enjoying the sun after the snow melted.
100_4970.jpg

Visiting with George, Laura and Billy.
100_4989.JPG

Attachments

• 100_4970.jpg
    100_4970.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,444
  • 100_4989.JPG
    100_4989.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,420
I remember some of the conversation was about where the engine out of that Tri-Pacer was at the time.

Good Times

George was right,... remember the good times when someone has left us.

Maine Lobster versus Alaskan Crab. I voted for the Crab legs Dale thought the Lobster my be a better deal. It was great meeting Dale and putting a face to the moniker. Dale you are a good man when folks smile when they think of you.
Thanks for the memories and I will see you on the other side.
John

I met Dale at Steve Pierce's and the crab fest. Every time I bumped into him, at the Airman's show, in Anchorage, he always remembered my name, had his great welcoming smile, and time for conversation. This really hurts. Tailwinds Dale and prayers and thoughts to his family
Gary Drean

NOT trying to second guess:

I remember reading about one of the old time pilots flying out of Fairbanks in the winter. He had so much trouble in winter losing engines when the suspended crystals would clog the air cleaner. He finally began taking the filters off below -20.

A. is there validity to that?
B. Could that have been part of the problem with Dale's engine?

I didn't mean to imply that ice was the cause in this case. My intention was to point out the perils in IFR flight in an airplane that has no deicing capability when the freezing level is 1000 MSL.

I didn't mean to imply that ice was the cause in this case. My intention was to point out the perils in IFR flight in an airplane that has no deicing capability when the freezing level is 1000 MSL.

Did not take it as such. I am trying to glean knowledge out of all you guys that do fly in ice.

Yes, most of you have hot wings and boots, but you watch and observe. My Ice experience has usually been the 'avoid at all costs' so don't really know...

He finally began taking the filters off below -20.

A. is there validity to that?
B. Could that have been part of the problem with Dale's engine?

had hear the same, and was my first thought that day... and the first thing i asked after hearing weather...

It'd take a LOT of snow to plug the induction. Carb ice seems most likely, and with power back in descent, not enough heat left in the muffler to de ice the carb. Cessna 180s are great airplane's, but they make carb ice like crazy. My 180 I owned in Kodiak made more carb ice than any plane I've ever flown.

RIP

MTV

Some of the Cessna heat robber attachments aren't very good heat producers. Not saying anything about Dale's but any 180 owners ought to get familiar with what's on their planes. Make something positive out of this tragedy.

Back