• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

North East Ski flying/ 2014 Fly Ins

Poor Joe and Jim Doody met me at Speculator for breakfast. Jim commented how sunny it was. We all headed north up to Indian lake and then Jim turned east and Joe turned west. I continued north and it was so smooth that I flew the gap of the Ausable gorge right on the deck and then played in the high peaks. Just south of Plattsburg I landed at a friends strip called Catalano and peed on his hangar door to let him know I had stopped in. Back west past Whiteface mt and then ran on the deck of all 3 Saranac lakes. Turned south and ran upper and lower Tupper lake, Forked lake and landed on Raquetta lake and had lunch on the tour boat tied to the dock in bubbling water. Got some efree gas from the snowmobile pump and played on a few more lakes on the way home. 5 hrs and over 350 miles, Awesome day.

Glenn

Last edited:
Nice day here too.
25 degrees with a light breeze.
chappy 2015-2835.jpgSalt ponds are starting to freeze. chappy 2015-2847.jpg

Attachments

• chappy 2015-2835.jpg
    chappy 2015-2835.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 231
  • chappy 2015-2847.jpg
    chappy 2015-2847.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 201
Took off at noon. Made several ski landings at the WAD. Made a run to Warren and landed on great snow on the old Morse airstrip. Off to Plymouth landing on hard glassy crust with snow drifts. Did two landings but awfully hard to turn. Went off to Post Mills laying the first set of tracks. No Brian around so landed on Lake Fairlee amongst the fishing shacks. Then on to Upper Baker Pond to land next to a couple of Boys fishing. Made their day. Back to the WAD.
Great Afternoon.

A great day in the NE to be a pheasant flyer.

Glenn
5087m2_ts.jpg

Poor Joe and Jim Doody met me at Speculator for breakfast. Jim commented how sunny it was. We all headed north up to Indian lake and then Jim turned east and Joe turned west. I continued north and it was so smooth that I flew the gap of the Ausable gorge right on the deck and then played in the high peaks. Just south of Plattsburg I landed at a friends strip called Catalano and peed on his hangar door to let him know I had stopped in. Back west past Whiteface mt and then ran on the deck of all 3 Saranac lakes. Turned south and ran upper and lower Tupper lake, Forked lake and landed on Raquetta lake and had lunch on the tour boat tied to the dock in bubbling water. Got some efree gas from the snowmobile pump and played on a few more lakes on the way home. 5 hrs and over 350 miles, Awesome day.

Glenn

-17 below but warmed to 5F

Speculator

Indian

Ausable Lk

Whiteface Mt

Upper Jay

Raquette Lk for lunch in the boat and some efree to get home

Home by dark

Glenn

Last edited:
Are Ausable and Indian Lakes part of the "off limits" lakes of upstate NY? They look like fun places to visit.

Nice pics Glenn.
Did not find my camera until I landed back at the WAD. Hopefully pics again next weekend.
John

Glenn - You need a SPOT so we can find you if you ever get in a jam out there in the middle of no where. Nice photos.

Too bad I don't live closer to upstate NY so I could join the gang flying out there. Stopped at Crow Island today, and the runway was covered with 2"+ deep puddles of water on top of the frozen grass.

I'd like to take a tour flying around those mountains. How about hosting a flyin at your place, and we can fly around the mountains this summer? I'll bring the steaks! Yellowbird can bring the NH seabugs!

I don't think you would like it in the summer. One nasty place when it's hot. We meet at Speculator for breakfast and then head north. Come with at least an hour of gas and a gas can and we can get efree gas at Raquette Lk ( 27ml ). Head north and you guys can top off at Lake Placid ski strip and head home.

Speculator http://skyvector.com/?ll=43.5142776....974267345876235,-92.15587471726849:A.K4.KRPH

Lk Placid http://skyvector.com/?ll=44.19148084171167,-73.9923801469945&chart=15&zoom=3

Glenn

Next time we have snow on the ground I'll fly out with a bag of fuel on skis. It doesn't get dark until close to 5pm now which helps too.

Last edited:
Question???????????? As an unfamiliar pilot flying around on ski's or floats bouncing from lake to lake in an unknown area how do we know what lake is ok for landing and which ones are not? I have always thought about landing at various places but are not 100% sure. Perhaps someone has the answer and could help me out with this.. Most of the lakes around me are OFF LIMITS but there is no way of knowing? I guess if you hear gun shots its time to leave..
Dave R

Laying tracks is the first requirement. Dave I am trying to perfect that now. Looking at your intended landing spot from two or three low past different directions. Finally not overstaying your welcome. Normal if I see snowmobile traffic or ice bib houses I figure it is OK. Do not v land next to their traps...right Timmy.

In Massachusetts it is simple. Any natural body of water over 10 acres is a great pond. Great ponds are owned by the state. The state allows landing on lakes and great ponds unless listed otherwise.
The state lists closed lakes and great ponds. All other lakes and great ponds are fair game. Beware many ponds have the same name, diffrent official names and some large bodies of water are dam created and are not great ponds.

Just because it is legal to land on a lake or great pond does not make it is a good idea.

.. Most of the lakes around me are OFF LIMITS but there is no way of knowing?..
Dave R
In the past I have landed in most all of the ponds in and around GBR. There were no restrictions, except in Lakeville CT.
In Massachusetts it is simple. Any natural body of water over 10 acres is a great pond. Great ponds are owned by the state. The state allows landing on lakes and great ponds unless listed otherwise.
The state lists closed lakes and great ponds. All other lakes and great ponds are fair game. Beware many ponds have the same name, diffrent official names and some large bodies of water are dam created and are not great ponds.

Just because it is legal to land on a lake or great pond does not make it is a good idea.
There is an exception to the great pond rule in that IF one individual or organization owns 100% of the shore line of a great pond, that individual can control access to that pond.

Also in Massachusetts there is a law on the books which requires the Mass Aeronautics Commission to approve any town ordinance which effects airplane landing restrictions. This has been tested in court when the town of Plymouth passed an ordinance to ban seaplane landing in any body of water in town. A friend of mine took the town to court and won. The town ordinance was over turned.

So unless the Mass Aeronautics has approved any restriction to landing on ponds in GBR, it is legal to do so. The town officials may think otherwise, but they are wrong.

I don't think you would like it in the summer. One nasty place when it's hot. We meet at Speculator for breakfast and then head north. Come with at least an hour of gas and a gas can and we can get efree gas at Raquette Lk ( 27ml ). Head north and you guys can top off at Lake Placid ski strip and head home.

Speculator http://skyvector.com/?ll=43.5142776....974267345876235,-92.15587471726849:A.K4.KRPH

Lk Placid http://skyvector.com/?ll=44.19148084171167,-73.9923801469945&chart=15&zoom=3

Glenn
Hey Glenn is this at the seaplane base. Where on Speculator and what time do you meet. I am thinking Saturday on skis.
john

Hey Glenn is this at the seaplane base. Where on Speculator and what time do you meet. I am thinking Saturday on skis.
john

Land in NW corner by the beach. Flag at gazebo to left of beach and a windsock in parking lot on north side of road. We eat at the 4th building north of the beach, first building past the boatyard. Watch out for snowmobiles and there are some bowling pin size buoys in a couple places. If in doubt land on snowmobile trail. Do a flyover pass so sleds know your there

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4954638,-74.3610738,139m/data=!3m1!1e3

Glenn

John, skis or no skis, your choice. I removed mine today due to a lack of snow at home. The sleds have what little is on the lakes packed so wheels is no disadvantage. See you Saturday.

Back