• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Drones

"Second Hand Lyon's"? Sounds like a good shot to me... Put the thing in your cub, fly it a hundred miles to the middle of nowhere and leave it. Make the SOB come and get it...make sure it is on and the GPS is up and running, put it in a rattlesnake pit....

To put your scenario into perspective, there are a large number of people who feel the same about small airplanes passing by at low level.

Then stay away from large numbers of people...

Second Hand Lyon's looks like a good movie...

So, say you own a nice piece of west Texas land (humor me on this part) and you're sitting out on the veranda (one of my Grandmothers favorite place words) under a beautiful sky (yes, even this Okie will give West Texas credit for great sunsets) entertaining the neighbors (they live 43 miles away) and low and behold some little drone thingie comes a buzzing by and the operator (just can't call 'em a pilot) sees your shindig a happen and decides he "needs" to take a closer look at your impressive spread of jalapeño, bacon, dove nuggets on the grill and being from "New York City" he just has to check to see what salsa you're serving (sorry Pace, great adds but marginal product) and being annoyed at the intrusion you go all Second Hand Lyon's on it and blast it out of the sky...what laws have you violated?

According to to my favorite Libertarian, Judge Napalatano of Fox News fame, if they look over a fence at you, where you have the expectation of privacy, no laws would be broken if you blasted that drone out of the sky. So have Fencer on speed dial. Jim

A couple of new interesting articles;

I wonder if/when the rolls are reversed if the opinion of law enforcement will be the same. Sure love this quote, “These drones pose a safety threat to aircrafts and the people on board because the pilots do not know they are in their flight pattern,” a law enforcement source said.

http://nypost.com/2014/09/17/nypd-helicopter-has-near-miss-with-drone-in-skies-over-brooklyn/

With a wingspan notably wider than a 737-900, and, "regularly descending rapidly to 1000' or below," seems like only a matter of time before some GA guy (that helped pay for it) gets the short end of the stick, while they use it to spy on a rancher in North Dakota. Or, to insure that those crossing the boarder illegally find their way safely to the free stuff.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-just-flew-across-the-u-s-for-the-first-time/

Confirmation of some of the concerns shared on this post.

Clearly NEXTGEN was thought out and planned before drones were really a consideration. The after thought seems to be focused on the meshing of drones with commercial aviation.

Lots of pressure (lobbyist with lots of money) being placed on congress.

No no apparent concern for general aviation, in particular, aircraft operating at low altitudes.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-09-24-14-10-52

Another scary part about this is that most of the people who want to operate these things commercially want to do it in urban centres (Amazon deliveries, Google, etc). Having a quadcopter come down in the middle of you windshield while your sitting in traffic because the batteries went dead is a scary thought. We are mandated to 500' and 2 miles when in populated areas. What about them?

One of the good things about these regulations so far, is that all the waivers they are giving to fly them require pilots licenses. I have several of these gadgets (some sitting at the bottom of the lake) and compared to say RC airplane or heli's anybody could fly them with no problem. The issue becomes not flying skill, but judgement as to when to fly them and where. The most popular hobby model is the DJI Phantom. When the Phantom 2 comes from the factory, it is programmed with the RC rules limits in it (400' agl, etc). You can manipulate these limits fairly easily if you download the tool and plug it into a computer, but at least the manufacturers are building in some respect for the current regs.

sj

Two days ago I was on final to South Anchorage and had one of those 4 prop drones right under me. I was at 600 ft, and I estimate the drone at 300 ft.

The article states that the man was arrested after the drone was found on the construction property. I wonder if if he would have still been arrested it the drone was found in the shooters yard. Maybe if someone is planning on shooting one down they might want to remember the old saying "wait till they are inside before you shoot them".

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/White-House-Expected-To-Weigh-In-On-Drones222872-1.html

President Obama will issue an executive order regarding drones and privacy issues "any day now," according to a report in The Hill on Monday. Michael Drobac, the organizer of the Small UAV Coalition, which launched last week, said the executive order would aim to satisfy privacy advocates by requiring federal drone operators to make public the size and purpose of their fleets and reveal how they will use any information they collect. The coalition hopes that step will help the FAA to move more quickly toward issuing guidelines for the commercial use of UAVs. Members of the coalition include Amazon Prime Air, Google[x]'s Project Wing, GoPro, and Parrot. Politico also reported in July that the executive order was in the works.
"The Small UAV Coalition believes safe commercial, philanthropic, and civil use of small UAVs will benefit the lives of consumers and promote U.S. competitiveness," said Drobac. "We look forward to working with the FAA, FCC, the Administration and Congress to ensure this industry can flourish." In the group's definition, small UAVs weigh under 55 pounds and typically fly at an altitude of less than 400 feet AGL. They can be flown by a remote operator or by an automated program in the UAV. The coalition is lobbying for rules that will permit the operation of small UAVs beyond the line of sight, "with varying degrees of autonomy."

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/FAA-Seeks-Police-Help-Controlling-Drone-Use223376-1.html

FAA Seeks Police Help Controlling Drone Use

The FAA is deputizing police forces across the U.S. in the fight against illegal drone use. The agency has issued a 12-page guide to law-enforcement agencies enlisting their help in stemming the "considerable increase in the unauthorized use" of small unmanned aerial systems (sUAS). Of course, the police don't really have the authority to enforce airspace regulations so the agency is asking that law enforcement do the legwork when illegal drone use is suspected. "State and local police are often in the best position to immediately investigate unauthorized UAS operations, and as appropriate, to stop them," the agency said in a news release posted Jan. 8.

The FAA says it would be most helpful if law enforcement interviewed witnesses, tracked down the drone operators, collected evidence and then notified local FAA inspectors. The FAA would then take over prosecuting the perpetrators. "The FAA's goal is to promote voluntary compliance by educating individual UAS operators about how they can operate safely under current regulations and laws, but the guidance makes clear the agency's authority to pursue legal enforcement action against persons who endanger the safety of the National Airspace System," the news release says.

Ya. That's right. We will share responsibilities as the Drone Nazi's. There will be a small tax of $5 per drone. Proceeds will be hidden in an underground train. In Oklahoma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuxtSjwOGhA

lots of uncomfortable suits on stage... and an unworkable idea.......

ps.. they still don't have time to take care of our/their existing needs/duties...

So all you guys who drop supplies in the backwoods are doing it illegally and pumpkin drops and other fun things can get you in trouble? Huerta told those people in the video it is illegal to drop anything from an airplane, period. Guess he's not familiar with the FARs or 91.15 doesn't exist anymore. jrh

Back