• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

L-21 Javron

avnxtek

Michigan
Let the fun begin
Got the kit home on July 1st A Javron wide body L-21 with a couple little mods
Just sorting everything out the first night

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1539.jpg
    IMG_1539.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 8,478
  • IMG_1537.jpg
    IMG_1537.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 8,109
Wow!! Congrats on the kit's arrival!

Every time I see one of these kits arrive I sorta wish I had bought a kit instead of just the plans...but then I've had a lot of fun and learned a lot with a plans build too. Best of luck!!

Some progress
Overhead Trim installed, Interior panels ready for some type of covering mostly

DSCN1510.jpg

DSCN1504.jpg

DSCN1502.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN1510.jpg
    DSCN1510.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 816
  • DSCN1504.jpg
    DSCN1504.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 806
  • DSCN1502.jpg
    DSCN1502.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 659
I am also building about she same thing I am curious how your seat base fits in the frame,and I would test your fuel tanks with av gas for about a week the blue die finds the leaks I have now gotten three leaking tanks and one non leaky

I am also building about she same thing I am curious how your seat base fits in the frame,and I would test your fuel tanks with av gas for about a week the blue die finds the leaks I have now gotten three leaking tanks and one non leaky
I noticed your other posts on this subject and find this disturbing. Did you visually check ALL of the welded joints? What did they look like? A good visual check will often point out a potential leak location. Second, when you have a question you can pressurize the tank with a maximum of 3-5 psi air. Then with a soapy water solution brush over all the seams, look for minute air bubbles.

Frankly I'm shocked that you have three bad tanks from Javron. Where were your leaks located? In a weld or a threaded joint?

Sorry about your issues Chinook.
Since I have only had my kit for 2 weeks now I haven't checked everything but I have mounted my seat base Whitehall fit perfectly well after trimming about .117 off the flap handle.
this is my first build so I really don't know what to expect but it is a Kit. I for one will fit check, trim, adjust, and repeat until I am happy.

i have worked on certified aircraft for like 30 years and I would say that this kit is very high quality. I don't expect everything to bolt together perfectly. I for one will thank Jay for putting these kits together for us, I don't know Jay very well but from what I can see he is one of those honest stand up guys that will do whatever it takes to make it right

so chinook please start a thread of your own. And I'll post there if I run into any Issues

I noticed your other posts on this subject and find this disturbing. Did you visually check ALL of the welded joints? What did they look like? A good visual check will often point out a potential leak location. Second, when you have a question you can pressurize the tank with a maximum of 3-5 psi air. Then with a soapy water solution brush over all the seams, look for minute air bubbles.

Frankly I'm shocked that you have three bad tanks from Javron. Where were your leaks located? In a weld or a threaded joint?
All the leaks are in welds most are in the spot welds holding the baffling in the tank one one tank it is also on the seams on the side I did a pressure test to two pounds but it was when I added Av gas in that I found the leaks

Very nice! I will be following this build as well. When I finish my cub rebuild I am going to be starting on a scratch built experimental!

Making some progress, have been working on the fuel system.

IMG_1682 (1).JPG

IMG_1684 (1).JPG

So one question I have The line with the yellow tape on it, what is the best way to make this connection?
I see some with a fitting and some with rubber line any suggestions

Attachments

• IMG_1682 (1).JPG
    IMG_1682 (1).JPG
    282.8 KB · Views: 666
  • IMG_1684 (1).JPG
    IMG_1684 (1).JPG
    282.4 KB · Views: 727
I like aluminum fittings and used them 100% on my Cub. Piper used rubber hose with a clamp on each end. If the clamp isn't tight there is the possibility of a leak. Rubber hose can deteriorate so when the connection is in a blind area there will always be some doubt.

My how time flies when you're having fun. I'm getting a few things together

Floorboards going in. Love that carbon fiber
image.jpg

A few other parts and pieces installed
image.jpg

Tail is is on and rigged and they actually move how they are supposed to
image.jpg

Firewall and boot cowl. Quality stuff
image.jpg

image.jpg

Way two much fun
image.jpeg

And this his weekend I hope to finish the windshield
and maybe get some rivets pounded in the firewall

image.jpg

Thats it for now. Off to have more fun

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 544
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 689
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 533
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 577
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 594
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 691
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 535
Looks great. Thank you for posting. It is fun and interesting to see it come together.

Bill

So I’m at the point of laying some cover down and looking for some advice. Starting with the elevators
IMG_2062.JPG

The Piper drawing shows round patches over the tie points. Most cubs I see have a 2” tape over the rib.

Builders choice or is it best to have the tape over the entire rib

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_2062.JPG
    IMG_2062.JPG
    365.6 KB · Views: 266
Really just builders choice. I prefer the tape. A little more protection for an area that takes a lot of abuse from prop blast, dirt, water spray (if on floats) etc. and I think it looks better.

my opinion only

Bill

I agree with Bill. That fabric drums a lot and you will get less paint cracking along the ribs if you use tape instead of dollar patches.

Copy that
And thanks for the quick response

I may add a couple tie points also

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Where did you get your windshield fairing strips? Looks like an excellent fit from the picture.

Thanks,
Denny

Fairing Came from Javron Not sure if He makes them or not but I'm really happy with it
Just a few more little adjustments and it will be good to go

WS.JPG

Attachments

• WS.JPG
    WS.JPG
    218.4 KB · Views: 379
Another cover question
I have the horizontal stabs and elevators covered and about to tape and the ribs between the two don’t quite line up maybe 1/2” offset so do you offset the tape to keep them true or?

IMG_2064.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_2064.JPG
    IMG_2064.JPG
    355.2 KB · Views: 267
Are you doing a two foot or a ten foot covering job? :wink:

No seriously your attention to detail is commendable. In my opinion trying to match the tapes between the two surfaces will look better if your tapes are centered on their respective ribs. If not you will forever wish that they were. The tapes being off set on their own rib will be more obvious to your eye.

Back