• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cgr 30-p

In the woods
I'm looking for suggestions on how to configure the CGR 30-P for the Super Cub. It seems to have way more possibilities than needed for a simple fixed pitched gravity fed aircraft but I like that all the primary instruments are in one spot and simplifies panel layout. The configuration work sheet is a little confusing with conflicting wording regarding possible screen configuration. For those that have done it, any suggestions or things you would have changed?
Main screen 5 primary functions based on POH in addition to RPM, CHT, EGT
Secondary screen has 6 strip or digital gauges with one of them being a primary

I really like having the fuel flow on the primary screen, after awhile I got to where I quickly lean to a flow then fine tune with temps.

I am an EI dealer and have sold and installed several. They way I prefer to configure in the Super Cub is RPM ans Fuel Flow on the two top arcs, the CHT/EGT graphs are on the left and Oil Temp/Pressure and Volts and Amps. Second pageusually OAT, Flight Timer, Eng Time, Tach Time and Zulu time. I don't usually install the provided warning lights in the Super Cub panel since the gauge is right in your field of view already.

EI use to have Kirby's Super Cub panel on their website but I can't find it now. It was fired up with the Garmin 796 in place.
DSCF5523.jpg

20170501_175915.jpg

20170901_172116.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF5523.jpg
    DSCF5523.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 7,556
  • 20170501_175915.jpg
    20170501_175915.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 6,647
  • 20170901_172116.jpg
    20170901_172116.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 6,370
Is the CGR 30 an approved replacement for my current temp and RPM gauges in my certified PA-12?
I just converted to an 0-320 and would like to have better temp info while adding panel space.
Also does anyone here have an estimated cost of install?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

It is approved to replace all engine instruments along with the amp meter, I would say 2-3 days to install.

I am an EI dealer and have sold and installed several. They way I prefer to configure in the Super Cub is RPM ans Fuel Flow on the two top arcs, the CHT/EGT graphs are on the left and Oil Temp/Pressure and Volts and Amps. Second pageusually OAT, Flight Timer, Eng Time, Tach Time and Zulu time. I don't usually install the provided warning lights in the Super Cub panel since the gauge is right in your field of view already.

Hi Steve installing my first cgr30 is there a trick to not using the warning lights

Steve, how steady should the fuel flow indication be? We just had a CGR 30-P installed. Initially it was installed with a 90 degree elbow on the outlet side and the flow would jump from 6.8 to 7.7 gph. I had them change to a straight outlet fitting and it has settled down to plus or minus .3 gph. Would that be considered normal?

Fuel flow should be pretty steady at a steady RPM. This is with 45 degree fittings in and out of the transducer. You can upload your CGR-30 logfiles to flightdata.com if you want to mess around with charts like these to drill down into the data. Savvy has something like this too, also free last time I tried.

ff.png

Attachments

• ff.png
    ff.png
    84 KB · Views: 283
Mine jumped around when I got a bunch of water in my fuel system when our old airport manager did something stupid when he ran our tanks out of gas. I have used 45s and 90s without any issues. Make sure the transducer is below the carb inlet to get out any air.

The instrument alone weighs 1.1 lbs. The data box is 1 lb. The weight of the wires depends on what systems you hook up and what is left off. I can't imagine wires and the fuel flow transducer would be much more than another 2 lbs.

Web

I’ve installed a couple now and would guess it’s a 6-7lbs install, you have lots of wires, egt probes, cht probes, transducer, brain box with mounting plate and clamps, instrument it’s self.

But what’s the weight of a tach, cable oil temp gauge and probes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A large part of each wire is cut off when routing and terminating. Some probes are used and some are not as the system is ordered as per the customer's wishes. I.e. manifold pressure on a constant speed prop/engine but not on a fixed pitch prop/engine. Some things like the new fuel lines and new oil pressure hose, are a trade in weight for the old ones. Very little change.

Another way to look at the CGR system is that it has the same wires as each gauge has, just going to one box.

Web

What would happen on the back light control if you Whitham and org wire to ground and by passed a rheostat

Your back lights would be dim. On the CGR-30P that potentiometer provides power to the back lights and the caution/warning lights.

Web

Guys,

I have a suggestion that may help you avoid trouble and frustration in the future with your EI unit. Take a few minutes and with a magnifying glass or what ever tool necessary check the connectors, pins and harness’s on new EI products (and anyone else’s for that matter). I spent thousands tracking down faulty crimps and poorly seated pins that were in the plug. Removal of the components from the airplane of what you can and further trouble shooting under the panel not being able to readily reach stuff is very difficult. Better to check this stuff on the bench. I love their products but their QC on my unit and some units of others I know have been a bit lacking. This is simple stuff and with a bit more attention detail it could have easily been prevented.

Just a heads up.

Kurt

Last edited:
Back