• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Ferry permit restrict to one pilot

Eddie747

Thinkin of purchasing a plane out of annual but can get ferry permit, I would like to bring my dad along but he is not a pilot, are ferry permits normally restricted to pilot only?

Thanks

As far as I know, "Required Crew Only" And usually from point A to Point B for some specific purpose like getting annual inspection or a repair deemed safe for the flight, but not to fly from CA to NY.

Rich

Bob,
Good to know. The FSDO here is difficult with Ferry Permits that are not straightforward.

Rich

no distance limitations... call them say you need ferry permit,

they want to know from start to end locations,

you have a 10 day window, and can call back if you need to extend that...

your "required crewmember's" job is to scream if the wing starts pealing off... been there, the wing didn't peal off even with 2 broken front spars held together with 2 AN3 bolts on each side of break.... and all my tools in it... was fun when we hit that huge sinker in the pass and both looked at each other.. 1995? or so...

no distance limitations... call them say you need ferry permit,

they want to know from start to end locations,

you have a 10 day window, and can call back if you need to extend that...

your "required crewmember's" job is to scream if the wing starts pealing off... been there, the wing didn't peal off even with 2 broken front spars held together with 2 AN3 bolts on each side of break.... and all my tools in it... was fun when we hit that huge sinker in the pass and both looked at each other.. 1995? or so...

Thank you for the required crewmember bit LOL, now Dad is part of the crew :)

I recall a couple guys who got a ferry permit for a T28 from APG, Md. to the Left coast. They stopped at Oshkosh on the way and were caught giving rides. The FAA was not happy but decided not to pull anyone's ticket. I heard the FAA guy put a few charts on the ground, drew a line and suggested they had 3 more days left to get it done and to stay close to the line on the chart. I also seem to recall that the new owner was a retired 3-star w/new job with the FAA. 40+ years ago, YMMV for sure.

Several years ago I issued a ferry permit for a 150 to go from MD to CA. They will almost always be essential crew only, most expedient route considering weather and fuel. Normally limited to 5 days, but for long XC I've gone as far as 10 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew a guy that got a ferry permit for his T28...figured if it was a 10 day permit, that was good for 240 hours....so he flew all summer on it! 8) They finally told him they'd take away his birthday if he didn't get it airworthy...which required a BUNCH of work....so it got sold a few years later.
John

Similar situation, I issued a ferry permit for a 185 on amphibs. The guy flew for 3 years on that ferry permit, and was constantly hopping passengers. FAA finally got him, but I spent a couple days testifying at an NTSB hearing for the FAA. I think the guy only got a 30 day suspension and $3000 fine.

Any Certificate action that is appealed goes to an NTSB Law Judge for the appeal.

Back