• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Another Bonanza bites the dust.

Den

Kodiak AK & Arizona
Don't know what the story is here but I was changing an EGT probe on a Seminole and I see this tow truck coming down the taxiway with a Bonanza slug. Belly landing of some type- failed gear or forgot? They were able to get it down when they set it on the ramp!

Second or third Bonanza in a row at our airport to belly in.

bonanza.jpg

Attachments

• bonanza.jpg
    bonanza.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 535
Looks like the tow truck guy is well trained in recovering them!! :lol:

Had one retract his flaps as soon as he touched down in a crosswind one day...but he grabbed the wrong switch and the squat switch was on the other gear leg and it came right up.... his brother really rode him about how stupid he was....guy felt terrible. Long story short, new engine, new prop, lots of new skin on the belly and a big engineered repair on the lower spar cap, and it was back in the air. We'd said there was a switch guard that could prevent that, but the "smart" brother said the dumby had already done that so it wouldn't happen again. The "smart" brother elected himself to fly it from Kalispell, MT to Polson, MT on it's release from the shop....you guessed it.... pulled the gear up in another cross wind. Less than an hour flight time. Guess he wasn't so damned "smart" after all. The other brother never said a word, but you could see him trying not to laugh when he told us.

I've never seen a 4-blade prop on a Banana before. A Q-tip no less!
I noticed that, too, and wondered if it might be a turbine Bonanza. Are there other details in the photo that confirm whether it's a piston or turbine?

I noticed that, too, and wondered if it might be a turbine Bonanza. Are there other details in the photo that confirm whether it's a piston or turbine?

It's a piston. If it were a turbine it would have a nose like an aardvark.

Had one retract his flaps as soon as he touched down in a crosswind one day...but he grabbed the wrong switch and the squat switch was on the other gear leg and it came right up.... his brother really rode him about how stupid he was....guy felt terrible. Long story short, new engine, new prop, lots of new skin on the belly and a big engineered repair on the lower spar cap, and it was back in the air. We'd said there was a switch guard that could prevent that, but the "smart" brother said the dumby had already done that so it wouldn't happen again. The "smart" brother elected himself to fly it from Kalispell, MT to Polson, MT on it's release from the shop....you guessed it.... pulled the gear up in another cross wind. Less than an hour flight time. Guess he wasn't so damned "smart" after all. The other brother never said a word, but you could see him trying not to laugh when he told us.

One of those brothers has gone west now. I attended his memorial service. The other brother, a WWII fighter pilot in Europe, is still around. I talked to him less than a week ago. He still has a keen interest in aviation and gets his exercise by walking around our airport most every day. He is getting pretty close to 100 now.

My hangar mate had an A-36 Bonanza that had the 4 blade Q-tip prop. That prop installation was an option with the IO-550 engine upgrade. Was a heck of a nice plane. Too bad he smeared it (and himself) on a mountain side.

Bonanzas seem to be the plane of choice to wreck around here.
bonanza.JPG

The pilots are so good at it here,that sometimes they can do two at a time.
bonanzas.jpg

-Cub Builder

Attachments

• bonanza.JPG
    bonanza.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 261
  • bonanzas.jpg
    bonanzas.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 1,553
Last edited:
When I made the Qtip remark I was just being a wise a** but hey, you gotta get lucky once in a while. I guess now its a super-Q !

Flew a 4 blade Q tip A36 with an IO 550 a few hundred hours. Quiet, but a dog getting off the ground.

Which one is still alive Spinner? Eric was such a humble, nice guy... I used to haul logs into their sawmill in TFalls long ago....it was a really good place to haul into!! They paid every Monday for the previous week. Always a good place to start again after breakup! They had a 150/150 with a Robinson kit that they'd bought from Strand just before I went to work there. It was quite the little rig!
John

John, I sent you a PM.

I've flown that 150/150. The O-320 makes a completely different airplane out of a 150.

Millar150.jpg

Here they are from probably around 2000 or so.

Attachments

• Millar150.jpg
    Millar150.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 212
I would love to have a 150/150. Towed gliders with one. Whole different airplane with that powerplant.

If any airplane could use an optical proximity sensor in the gear system it is the Bonanza.

C-150s, I have owned and like the C150. Decades ago when I was finishing up work for the day Arther Miller, the playwright flew in with a Texas Taildragger. We sat and talked for hours. I thought that plane was cool, first one I had seen. On our field we had a C-150 Aerobat long ranger as well as a O-320 converted 150 that lived it's life pulling banners.
From that day on I have always wanted the 3 of those planes melded together.

If any airplane could use an optical proximity sensor in the gear system it is the Bonanza.

C-150s, I have owned and like the C150. Decades ago when I was finishing up work for the day Arther Miller, the playwright flew in with a Texas Taildragger. We sat and talked for hours. I thought that plane was cool, first one I had seen. On our field we had a C-150 Aerobat long ranger as well as a O-320 converted 150 that lived it's life pulling banners.
From that day on I have always wanted the 3 of those planes melded together.

Built one for a friend years ago... C-150 Aerobatic with Tail dragger conversion, 150 Lycoming and long range tanks... Great airplane... original owner died of cancer, sold to another friend who sold it to someone in South America when he upgraded to a 182/180 conversion...

Problem with using the Aerobat is as soon as you convert it looses its aerobatic category and is strictly standard..

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

....Problem with using the Aerobat is as soon as you convert it looses its aerobatic category and is strictly standard..

A friend of mine had a 150hp Aerobat & told me that.
The only thing I could see that was different was that intentional spins were prohibited and it had to be placarded as such.
I don't recall anything else, but then I didn't read the entire STC.

FWIW I used to own a C150/150 TD, it had all three of the "Texas Taildragger" STC's - tailwheel conversion, 150hp Lycoming, & 40 gallon tanks.
The O-320 makes a completely different airplane out of it, all right,
but so does the tailwheel conversion-- much sportier to yank & bank than a nosedragger.
I used to do aileron rolls in mine regularly, kinda slow on the roll rate but it went around OK (eventually).

Sold it a few years ago to buy my 180- I love the 180 but kinda miss the little 150 sometimes.

Last edited:
One of my customers has a 160/150. Sure is a fine little airplane and does very well at our altitude. Wanna go up, no problem, short fields, no problem. It sure did make a different airplane out of it!
John

Back