• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Overhauled o-200 no oil pressure

Doug Budd

Crawford Nebraska
I bought an overhauled 0-200 split the case and put a different cam in it. Now I have zero oil pressure. I pressurized the case and turned the engine over to prime it and as long as I had pressure to the case I had oil pressure. The only thing I did different is I left the gear off the front of the cam that drives the vac pump. I didn’t want the gear slinging oil up and out of the breather tube. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I had a friend with the sme issue. Brought me the engine and I found blue painters tape wrapped around the oil pick up tube. Is the pressure oil you are putting through the engine making it to the pump? If the pump has lost it's prime you could have oil in the entire system but it won't pump. Where are you pressurizing it. The three bolt plate on the left side of the engine is a good place, one hole goes around the crankcase and the other to the pump. I can't remember which is which.

wasnt there a deal where that gear goes needs a plug put in?? theres a good thread on here somewhere about a plug needed in the cam.

Last edited:
Pick up tube is good I put 20lbs threw the case vent. I have a oil cooler running off the three bolt plate I tried putting oil through the top hole to get oil to the pump. I took the sump and accessory case off to look at pump and had oil everywhere except the top end.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I wonder if it’s just the bolts that need put in and if I can do it through the vac hole. I’m on my way to the airport now to see what it looks like.

Thanks for the help Steve and tempdoug. Guess I will go split the case

:oops:been there dun that . Oil goes out front of cam if you leave the gear off . You can make a plate and bolt it on the cam without splitting the case, it's not eazy but we did it through the vac. pump hole .
Doug

:oops:been there dun that . Oil goes out front of cam if you leave the gear off . You can make a plate and bolt it on the cam without splitting the case, it's not eazy but we did it through the vac. pump hole .
Doug

I’m going to try going through the hole. Do I need to make a plate or just plug the bolt holes

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

We made a plate out of 1/4" alum. useing the gear as a pattern , I dont think our cam was taped for a plug ? Putting a plate on through the vac. pump hole is not as hard as you might think , the hardest part ws safty wireing the bolts .:x

Doug

After thinking about it , I do not remember if the oil came out the bolt holes or if there is another hole in the cam ? , but I do rememberwe made a plate ?, to many years ago .
Doug

I had the EXACT SAME ISSUE!!! you do not have to have the gear installed, just the bolts. I got shorter drilled bolts and installed them onto the cam and safety wired the heads. I had an -F case with the fuel pump drive cover so I could do it without splitting the case again.

If you go to the other thread and look at the pictures of the cam Charlie Aileron posted, what is happening is the oil crossed from one side of the case to the other in the front through the valley between the pad for the gear and the journal right behind it. Without the gear or the bolts, it is spilling all the pressure out of the holes and back into the case. One half of the engine is getting oil, the other is not. The side that is not is the side where the oil psi fitting is fed, happens to be at the end of the flow.

Thanks for all the input. I split the case and put the gear on the cam. Started out to put just the machine screws in but they were too long so I put washers on, didn’t work because the cam is recessed in the case just enough not to fit in the journal. I don’t have a lot of time to do this so to make it faster I put the gear back on . I added a couple inches to the vent elbow hope it stops the dirty belly. Thanks again for the help.
Doug

Sorry got distracted on the last post . The washers wouldn’t work because they were wider than the end of the cam and stuck over the edge so it wouldn’t let the cam all the way into journal.

Up and running dang sure more snort than a stock 0-200 ( phase III CAM c85 pistons) thanks for all the feed back

It’s a cam for airboats same as the old c90 788 cam. Experimental only of course.

Back