• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

New Desser 31'' tire

Olibuilt

Montreal, Canada
Who is gonna be the first to give a review??

http://www.desser.com/aircraft-tires-and-tubes/3111-10-4-PLY.asp

27-10tundra_med.jpg

I will send them an email, again, to encourage them producing a 35'' + tire. Maybe they will if we are many.

I like the idea of a 10" wheel tire. Not available yet though, 2nd quarter of 2016. What is weird though is the 8" 27 1/2 tire! Who/what runs 8" wheels? They say it will bolt onto a 6" Matco setup? Why not make that a 6" tire?

It looks good from the price standpoint but still has the potential issues of stem shearing if tubed and un-beading if tubeless, when running at low pressure. With a 10" wheel and a 2500# per tire rating, I'm thinking its aimed at the Skywagon market.

The description on their website says it can be used tubeless or with tubes, so perhaps the stem shearing won't be an issue. If it was for my 6" wheels I'd order a set. I wonder how much it'll be and what 10" wheel to buy if one were to decide to go this route. I'm also interested to hear some wear reports and how soft they truly are.

Looking at the specs on the Matco wheel this tire was designed for is a 10 X 7 wheel, which would require the ABW 10 X 6.50 Cub wheel. The Gar Aero and ABW equivalent is 10 X 10. This could be a good tire for the Skywagons if it doesn't roll in as bad as the Bushwheels, but again there's the issue with the valve stem. Might have to glue them to the rim for extra insurance. And the ABW wheel would have to have a hole drilled for valve stem as well.

I like the idea of a 10" wheel tire. Not available yet though, 2nd quarter of 2016. What is weird though is the 8" 27 1/2 tire! Who/what runs 8" wheels? They say it will bolt onto a 6" Matco setup? Why not make that a 6" tire?

I understand that they are using existing tooling. To adapt to 6" would require new tooling and cause an increase in cost that would exclude them from being a light "budget" tire. They are not claiming to be ABW's.

We have a set (27.5) on the way for our EAB Rans. Already have the wheels here. Hope to report on them soon. We have sand and slop, and don't do big rocks. Plan to run tubeless.

... This could be a good tire for the Skywagons if it doesn't roll in as bad as the Bushwheels, but again there's the issue with the valve stem. Might have to glue them to the rim for extra insurance. And the ABW wheel would have to have a hole drilled for valve stem as well.

Desser says $750 for this new 25-pound 4-ply smoothie. STA (McCreary) says their 850x10 6-ply Airtrac weighs 17.6#, Spruce and others have them for about $350. So cheaper by more than half, and lighter to boot. Of course, they're treaded so might tend to throw rocks. Dunno what the Airhawks & 29" GY's weigh or cost.

I have the ABW 10x10's and 29x11x10's, 4 ply on my 185 and they work real good. I had GarAeros on my 180 and the 10x10's are better IMHO . I run 12-15 psi in the 29's , and know guys that run as low as 5-6 psi. The gar's wouldn't work that low on presure. I think the side walls are too stiff for Cubs but great on the Skywagon.

I have the ABW 10x10's and 29x11x10's, 4 ply on my 185 and they work real good. I had GarAeros on my 180 and the 10x10's are better IMHO . I run 12-15 psi in the 29's , and know guys that run as low as 5-6 psi. The gar's wouldn't work that low on presure. I think the side walls are too stiff for Cubs but great on the Skywagon.

These desser tires require a 10 X 7 wheel, Gar Aeros are 10 X 10. ABW offers a 10 X 10 wheel for Skywagons and a 10x6.50 for the Cubs, the new Desser 31s would require the 10 X 6.50 Cub wheel.

I have the 29" Gar-Aero 10" 4ply-shaved, no tread. You could run the Desser tire on the Gar 10" the side walls will be straighter is all. They are already set-up for a valve stem. In the past, people would drill & counter sink the outer wheel rim in three places and put a screw into the inner tire lip. This is a copy of what Schneider did with his 10" wheels. You can run very low pressure that way with no tire slip.

The 850 X 10-6ply McCreary was only a 26" tire.

...In the past, people would drill & counter sink the outer wheel rim in three places and put a screw into the inner tire lip. This is a copy of what Schneider did with his 10" wheels. You can run very low pressure that way with no tire slip.

Actually, truth be told,

Schneider used a Gar-Areo wheel half as his mold pattern for his, but because of the Aluminum shrinkage due to casting(~1/10" per foot?), there was not enough room between the 6" rim and adaptor for a proper epoxy bond, so he had to do the 3 bolts...

My FAA guy told me that 20+ years ago... think that was Al Fleener back then...

sorry, miss read your post, you are referring to staking the tires to the adaptors... we used to add that also to the gar-aeros... I was talking attaching the adaptors to the 6" wheels..

airplane trivia....

Actually, truth be told,

Schneider used a Gar-Areo wheel half as his mold pattern for his, but because of the Aluminum shrinkage due to casting(~1/10" per foot?), there was not enough room between the 6" rim and adaptor for a proper epoxy bond, so he had to do the 3 bolts...

My FAA guy told me that 20+ years ago... think that was Al Fleener back then...

sorry, miss read your post, you are referring to staking the tires to the adaptors... we used to add that also to the gar-aeros... I was talking attaching the adaptors to the 6" wheels..

airplane trivia....

Yes the only way you could tell them apart was the countersunk holes on the Schneider wheel. Many Gar-Aero had them after that but not from Gary. The owners/A&Ps started doing it themselves (to the tires)

A friend just received his I'm going down to check them out this week ...will report....$885 each.

I've been running 8.50x10 tubes in my 29's for years. Don't remember if they even had the 29 tube when I got mine.

29" shaved Air Hawks mounted on 10" ABW wheels weight 50# each. That's 10# more than a 29" Bushwheel mounted on a Cleveland wheel. When somebody does commit to 31" Dessers it would be helpful if they'd post the weight. It would also be good to compare height and width of an installed Desser to an installed Bushwheel.

What did they feel like?

Did they have lots of give like Bushwheels? Or were they stiff like the Gar-Aeros?

What was your thoughts on them?

The shaved 4ply Gar-Aeros are pretty soft. The 10ply Gar-Aeros aren't soft.

Back