• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Need some info for a J3C-65S

Southern Aero

SPONSOR
kcco/1ga2
I have a J3C-65S fuselage coming in for a little welding/repair. I haven't had a factory seaplane fuselage since the mid 80s (faded pic below). Problem is this fuselage has been replaced at some point in time and doesn't have the seaplane water rudder provisions under the throttles or the attach tabs for the metal belly. (I assumed it was "factory" then since it was a 65S model) I would like to put this fuselage back "correct". I don't have enuff detail in the pic(s) I have to do it. Plus, I would like to have a print to reference anyway. This Cub will probly never be on floats again but just want to make it correct. The one I did years ago had bolt on fittings but I am welding these on. Hasn't been on floats since this owner bought it.

J3C-65S.jpg

Attachments

• J3C-65S.jpg
    J3C-65S.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Dunno about that, but I can get a shot of the Super Cub water rudder fitting tomorrow if you want. I probably already asked - you are the guy who will be fixing Marie-Claire's fuselage if I can ever find the excuse to get mine there?

I have a J3C-65S fuselage coming in for a little welding/repair. I haven't had a factory seaplane fuselage since the mid 80s (faded pic below). Problem is this fuselage has been replaced at some point in time and doesn't have the seaplane water rudder provisions under the throttles or the attach tabs for the metal belly. (I assumed it was "factory" then since it was a 65S model) I would like to put this fuselage back "correct". I don't have enuff detail in the pic(s) I have to do it. Plus, I would like to have a print to reference anyway. This Cub will probly never be on floats again but just want to make it correct. The one I did years ago had bolt on fittings but I am welding these on. Hasn't been on floats since this owner bought it.
I have never heard of there being factory welded on fittings for the water rudder handle, a metal belly or float fittings on a J-3. That pull up handle arraignment in your picture is interesting. Is that an original picture?

The float's fittings have always been bolted on, supplied by the float manufacturer. Weld on float fittings are an after market modification.
Metal belly on a J-3?
The seaplane option for a PA-18 consists of spray on metalizing of the fuselage and struts along with stainless steel control cables. Nothing else. The water rudder handle hook is screwed onto the metal interior side panel.
The metal belly was a separate option not related directly to seaplane.

Parts list for EDO 1320 floats: http://www.kenmoreairharbor.com/uploads/9/6/8/3/9683162/60-1320.pdf
Parts list for EDO 1400 floats: http://www.kenmoreairharbor.com/upl...8a_8e_8f_piper_jsc-65_and_pa-11_65__90_hp.pdf

sky

Yes, that is a pic of the Cub I did in 1984-85. I have more pics but not very good detail of the install. .......... didn't think to document it back then. doesn't cost anything to document everything now! Looks as tho that installation in the pic was a "custom" fabrication with the relocation of the fuel shut off and addition of the water rudder "slide". I just put it back as it was. Was a nice/functional install tho. The airplane came from TN originally I believe but I built it for a guy in Asheville NC. Thanx for the help.

bob

Yeah, send me a pic please. ..... I talked to someone last year about her fuselage but nothing in a while, I figured she took it some place else. Its Round's S model from Zebulon coming in for a little welding. I'll try to talk him in to not using the weld on fittings since I don't think he'll ever put it on floats.

She has corrosion issues - not sure how bad. I have a decent spare fuselage, and the plan is to combine the two, or fix mine. It's just that mine is in California! Her dad got me my first airline job. The airplane has been in the family since 1965. Mine has an issue with the rear spar mount and one strut ear, plus it would need the L4 window stuff. I need to get photos.

I remember ferrying big cans of dope from Rounds' strio to the smaller Zebulon strip. Back then there was a private strip within gliding distance no matter where you were from Williamson to Griffin.

bob

I just need to SEE the fuselage to get an idea of what it will take to repair it. Is it an L4? I just got in a J3 that we are going to put the L4 glass in it and paint it up in the North Africa style desert camo........... just to be different.

Back