• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Revisiting Best Prop Options

cplne

Our PA12 with 150 HP has a Borer z(McCauley) 1A175GM 8144 Klip Tip. What’s your opinion on this prop? Im looking for the best short field performance without breaking the bank.

What is clip tip? Was that to clean up a ding?
You have a good prop but 44 is a lot of pitch for a 150. It kind of defeats the purpose of a climb prop. Mine's an 82/42 (150) and it's all the pitch I'd want.

Last edited:
A Clip Tip is a name given to the prop by McCauley.

I have a 1A175GM80-46 which I used on my 7GCB with a 150 hp 0-320. The all around performance was excellent. The 81-44 will only be slightly more climb.

That’s likely the best all around prop for performance you’ll find....that’s legal, anyway. If you feel like you need a little more takeoff and climb performance, you could have it re-pitched to 42 or 43. That will give a LITTLE better performance, but slow you down on cruise. Re-pitching isn’t a huge deal, call a prop shop.

MTV

After talking to one of the AK guys I’m beginning to believe the tips are rounded is due to years of filing. I’m probably going to have to start looking for a replacement. We’ll see what the shop says when she goes into annual

If the W80CM8 has the same thick hub and airfoil of the W80, its not a very efficient prop. I have a W80-40 and the 82-42 Borer beats it on all counts, except weight. Also, 44 would be significantly fat on pitch. All else being equal, that prop needs to be a couple inches shallower than the Borer for roughly equal performance.

Back