• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Mounting fittings for LW2500 skis

algonquin

Seldovia,Ak
Anybody dealt with mounting LW2500 skis on a new airplane? I have a pair of skis with the insert for the axels but they were used and I don't have the weld on brackets for the gear. Called airglass and they said they don't sell the brackets and I would need to send the gear legs to them to weld on the brackets. That's not going to happen so anybody done this? Thanks

Atlee makes a bolt on fitting-

However, the deal with that is that the stiff leg that runs from the attach fitting to the front gear fitting must be the exact length matched to your gear, (Atlee and I had a long conversation about this 24 years ago). So you can either A, send your gear and have fittings welded on; B, send your gear to Atlee and have the fittings made correctly to bolt on; C, buy new gear legs and have the fittings made to the new legs; D, find a different set of skis.

Sorry to be so abrupt, but skis are soooo much fun to install the first time. I am in about the same boat!

I called atlee today and they said they couldn't help because the only do the work for airglass and couldn't even sell me parts. Told me to go to owner produced parts.

Atlee makes a bolt on fitting-

However, the deal with that is that the stiff leg that runs from the attach fitting to the front gear fitting must be the exact length matched to your gear, (Atlee and I had a long conversation about this 24 years ago). So you can either A, send your gear and have fittings welded on; B, send your gear to Atlee and have the fittings made correctly to bolt on; C, buy new gear legs and have the fittings made to the new legs; D, find a different set of skis.

Sorry to be so abrupt, but skis are soooo much fun to install the first time. I am in about the same boat!

different critter..../bracket

I called atlee today and they said they couldn't help because the only do the work for airglass and couldn't even sell me parts. Told me to go to owner produced parts.

someone needs to JIG UP for this... I hear even Airframes wants a lot of $$$ for this couple tabs added on... did you call them and see if they will sell you them?

if one was to make a jig, I would recommend basing the geometry off the upper gear attach fitting, instead of axel itself only, to take out any error from bent/misaligned axels...

top_mount_brakes 003.jpg

The tabs are very similar to the tabs on the outboard end of your axle stub. The spacing and location on the gear is set by the boss on the skis proper. The holes for all four tabs should be inline.

The axle stub is held in place in the gear axle by a single roll pin. You would need to drill the hole for this pin in the gear axle.

When I got my skis from Airglas I bought Dodge gear legs from them at the same time and they came to me with the tabs welded on.

Attachments

• top_mount_brakes 003.jpg
    top_mount_brakes 003.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 197
^^^^I did the exact same thing as spinner. Sold the skis awhile back but still use the gear with the tabs. Seems kind of a waste to carry the tabs around.

I have the tabs on my gear but don't have the skis. Maybe you should sell me those Airglas skis and buy something different :-D

If I didn't have these tabs I'd be ordering a set of those Summits. Much lighter than the Airglas and no welding required

I have the tabs on my gear but don't have the skis. Maybe you should sell me those Airglas skis and buy something different :-D

If I didn't have these tabs I'd be ordering a set of those Summits. Much lighter than the Airglas and no welding required

Simply to remove enough of the tabs to clear the Summit brackets

Glenn

I talked to the boss about that and he wants to stay with the Airglass skis. It would be easier though to start again. On the up side I can borrow them for my Husky when he isn't useing them and I already have extended gear and the 1 1/4" axle insert.

Back