• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

B&C 8A alternator reviews?

bda

Kenai AK
Anyone here use the 8A B&C Alternator on a Titan 0-340??

Anyone have Taken off the 8A because they needed more volts / Amps??

Any experience with this alternator would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I have used them on several different airplanes. Unless you have heated seats and a bunch of lights, they're great.
The only thing lighter is nothing at all. Simple, light, what's not to like?

I used an 8 amp for a year. Worked great, no issues at all. That winter I added pulse lights in the wing and an electric fuel pump for an external fuel pod. With everything running I draw between 8 and 9 amps. Thus the 8 amp was no longer adequate. I changed to the 20 amp and have used it for over 200 hours with no issues.

Hope this helps

Bill

Kinda funny how modern solid-state avionics and now LED lighting has reduced the electrical draw of most airplanes,
yet just about the only replacement units for certified airplanes are 60 or 70 amp alternators from Plan Power etc.
I'd like to see some smaller lighter 30 or 35 amp alternators offered.
My C180 has the original 35A generator as factory equipped and it provides more than enough juice.
The smaller B&C unit which mount to the vacuum pump pad have promise but I believe they're "experimental only".
Besides approval issues, unfortunately other than the really small 8A model, they're a bit too long to clear the firewall on my airplane.

Anyone using the 8A alternator with an EarthX battery? How do they get along if you're out doing a bunch of short hops with lots of starts and not much flight time in between?

Stewart

I have been using the earthX for 2 1/2 years with no problems. About a year and a half with the 8 amp and now close to a year with the 20 amp. No issues at all. Over 500 hours.

Bill

Back