• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Placards

"EXPERIMENTAL" at the entrance, fuel quantity and grade at each filler Neck, passenger warning if not a single seat, circuit breakers and switches labeled, other controls labeled with what they do and direction, 45.11 drug placard if the data plate isn't on the outside. That pretty much covers what is required. Then you should have rough marking for your airspeed, to be refined after you flight testing, your oil pressure and temp limits marked as well as your tach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"EXPERIMENTAL" at the entrance, fuel quantity and grade at each filler Neck, passenger warning if not a single seat, circuit breakers and switches labeled, other controls labeled with what they do and direction, 45.11 drug placard if the data plate isn't on the outside. That pretty much covers what is required. Then you should have rough marking for your airspeed, to be refined after you flight testing, your oil pressure and temp limits marked as well as your tach.

what about things like the normal placard of "operate in normal category .... blah blah blah""???

"EXPERIMENTAL" at the entrance,
Unless the letter X is placed after the N. NX12SB.
Sec. 45.22
(b) A small U.S.-registered aircraft built at least 30 years ago or a U.S.-registered aircraft for which an experimental certificate has been issued under Sec. 21.191(d) or 21.191(g) for operation as an exhibition aircraft or as an amateur-built aircraft and which has the same external configuration as an aircraft built at least 30 years ago may be operated without displaying marks in accordance with Secs. 45.21 and 45.23 through 45.33 if:

(1) It displays in accordance with Sec. 45.21(c) marks at least 2 inches high on each side of the fuselage or vertical tail surface consisting of the Roman capital letter "N" followed by:
(i) The U.S. registration number of the aircraft; or
(ii) The symbol appropriate to the airworthiness certificate of the aircraft ("C", standard; "R", restricted; "L", limited; or "X", experimental) followed by the U.S. registration number of the aircraft;

what about things like the normal placard of "operate in normal category .... blah blah blah""???
“Passenger Warning-This aircraft is amateur-built and does not comply with the federal safety regulations for standard aircraft”
https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation...-and-cabin-interior/markings-placards-numbers

Unless the letter X is placed after the N. NX12SB.
Sec. 45.22
(b) A small U.S.-registered aircraft built at least 30 years ago or a U.S.-registered aircraft for which an experimental certificate has been issued under Sec. 21.191(d) or 21.191(g) for operation as an exhibition aircraft or as an amateur-built aircraft and which has the same external configuration as an aircraft built at least 30 years ago may be operated without displaying marks in accordance with Secs. 45.21 and 45.23 through 45.33 if:

(1) It displays in accordance with Sec. 45.21(c) marks at least 2 inches high on each side of the fuselage or vertical tail surface consisting of the Roman capital letter "N" followed by:
(i) The U.S. registration number of the aircraft; or
(ii) The symbol appropriate to the airworthiness certificate of the aircraft ("C", standard; "R", restricted; "L", limited; or "X", experimental) followed by the U.S. registration number of the aircraft;

“Passenger Warning-This aircraft is amateur-built and does not comply with the federal safety regulations for standard aircraft”
https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation...-and-cabin-interior/markings-placards-numbers

That only works for replicas that are exact in external configuration. I would have pu that, but figured my post was long enough already.

That only works for replicas that are exact in external configuration. I would have pu that, but figured my post was long enough already.
The word EXACT is not in the regulation. Stewart's airplane has the same external configuration as an aircraft built at least 30 years ago. This has been done with the concurrence of the New England Region of the FAA. The DAR who certified my airplane ran this by his FAA person for approval.

AFS640 teaches the DAR certification courses. That's what they teach, has to be same dimensions, same configuration. Widen the fuselage, add an extra door, make it scaled down, you can't use 45.22 to eliminate the "Experimental" placard at the entrance. You can still use NX, just doesn't get you out of the placard. Using 45.22, you don't even need to display the registration number if you use 45.22(a)(1). That's how I was able to issue the certificate on old rhinebeck's NYP

I didn't elect to add the X in my N number. I appreciate the comments.

Mine is not a Supercub replica. Taller, longer, wider. This is a big airplane. We had to modify the paint room to fit it.

Here's a placard that's required in my Cessna in addition to all the labels on switches and knobs. This is what drives the question.

CESSNA INTERIOR APRIL 18, 2010 010.jpg

Attachments

• CESSNA INTERIOR APRIL 18, 2010 010.jpg
    CESSNA INTERIOR APRIL 18, 2010 010.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 176
not helpful.... I'm the one that asked him, and asked him to post the question here... so? nothing like that required?

I was responding to the question about the placard for Normal, Utility, Acrobatic. Since the OP referenced Experimental, those placards do not apply.

For aircraft with Standard or Restricted certificates, they are required to have all the placards identified in Note 2 of their TCDS.

Here's a placard that's required in my Cessna in addition to all the labels on switches and knobs. This is what drives the question.

Those placards are required by and spelled out in the TCDS for your Cessna.
I don't know if there even is a TCDS for an experimental.
Those airspeeds would probably have to be in the aircraft flight manual, aka
"operating limitations" (the O in ARROW), which as manufacturer you would create.

View attachment 33295
This is the placard which is required in lieu of the one shown in your picture that mike asked about: “Passenger Warning-This aircraft is amateur-built and does not comply with the federal safety regulations for standard aircraft”

It's not mentioned in the link but a compass correction card is also required if a mag compass is installed.

There is a lot good information on the EAA website, just not the easiest to find.

And compass swing card if you have a wet compass. I got dinged for not having one.

Jake

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Back