• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Three practical mod questions

RVBottomly

PATRON
Asotin County Washington (KLWS)
I’m in study mode for my potential project (scratch-built) and have spent maybe a hundred hours of my surgery recovery time reading all sorts of threads here. I could probably go another couple hundred hours, but my eyes are turning into BBs.

But now I’m to a point that I have questions regarding modifications to the stock super cub. For reference, I’ve been pouring over the Northland drawings and I also am studying Wag Aero 2+2 drawings. I’m familiar with Bugs66’s website and have downloaded and studied many of the drawings there.

So, three (probably) unrelated questions:

1. Has anyone tested or given thought to an airfoil shape on the super cub tail? Would there be any advantage in the slow-flight regime to having an upside-down wing shape?

2. The Wag Aero 2+2 wing drawing looks identical to several squared-off super cub wings I’ve seen, but the ailerons remain in the same location as found on the bow wings. From what I’ve seen, moving them toward the wing tips is a common modification. The question I have is what, if any, structural changes are required in the wing to do that?

3. I’ve read a lot about Keller flaps and think they are extremely cool—probably too cool for me. I see he has a patent on them and I can see why: they are elegant and complex. Maybe at some point I’d spring for them in years to come. But, in the meantime, would there be any benefit in trying a single slot flap? It seems mechanically fairly simple. I’m wondering if it would be worth the effort compared to the standard flap design.

FWIW, I started out committed to the idea of keeping things simple, tried, and true. But some of the discussions here make that hard….

1. Look at the horizontal stabilator of Breeden's Glacier Cub.
2. Move the stock ailerons to the end of the wing and fill the gap with flap and another flap hanger.
3. Look at the mounting of the Keller flaps you may want access panels to rear spar flap hangers, put them in when you cover and upgrade should be easy.
ENNY

1. Look at the horizontal stabilator of Breeden's Glacier Cub.

Well, that's pretty neat! I could only find one photo, but I could see what you are talking about.

2. Move the stock ailerons to the end of the wing and fill the gap with flap and another flap hanger.

That's what I'm thinking, but I was wondering if additional compression members or other stiffening is required with the forces out there near the wing end.

3. Look at the mounting of the Keller flaps you may want access panels to rear spar flap hangers, put them in when you cover and upgrade should be easy.

Thanks. Seems like a good idea.

I’m in study mode for my potential project (scratch-built) and have spent maybe a hundred hours of my surgery recovery time reading all sorts of threads here. I could probably go another couple hundred hours, but my eyes are turning into BBs.

But now I’m to a point that I have questions regarding modifications to the stock super cub. For reference, I’ve been pouring over the Northland drawings and I also am studying Wag Aero 2+2 drawings. I’m familiar with Bugs66’s website and have downloaded and studied many of the drawings there.

So, three (probably) unrelated questions:

1. Has anyone tested or given thought to an airfoil shape on the super cub tail? Would there be any advantage in the slow-flight regime to having an upside-down wing shape?

2. The Wag Aero 2+2 wing drawing looks identical to several squared-off super cub wings I’ve seen, but the ailerons remain in the same location as found on the bow wings. From what I’ve seen, moving them toward the wing tips is a common modification. The question I have is what, if any, structural changes are required in the wing to do that?

3. I’ve read a lot about Keller flaps and think they are extremely cool—probably too cool for me. I see he has a patent on them and I can see why: they are elegant and complex. Maybe at some point I’d spring for them in years to come. But, in the meantime, would there be any benefit in trying a single slot flap? It seems mechanically fairly simple. I’m wondering if it would be worth the effort compared to the standard flap design.

FWIW, I started out committed to the idea of keeping things simple, tried, and true. But some of the discussions here make that hard….
Here is my airfoil tail cub....control is nice and light. Only wish I had a jack screw on the stablizer. As it is I don't really have enough trim range.
bd844fd3bc2ba8d9f47532937c22a126.jpg
458a1bbafcbe68550056062835ef21ba.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

If you build flying feathers might consider doing it on top and bottom surfaces.. otherwise more speed = more lift = chase with trim.

Personal preference but we like a couple more degrees AOI.. doesn’t do much to speed but improves visibility and short/slow flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is my airfoil tail cub....control is nice and light. Only wish I had a jack screw on the stablizer. As it is I don't really have enough trim range.

Well, that's interesting. I could sort of see the airfoil on the elevator, and maybe on the horizontal stabilizer surface. I'm wondering why no jack-screw? Was it to reduce drag?

If you build flying feathers might consider doing it on top and bottom surfaces.. otherwise more speed = more lift = chase with trim.

Personal preference but we like a couple more degrees AOI.. doesn’t do much to speed but improves visibility and short/slow flight.

Good point about trim. I hadn't really considered that. As for the AOI, I'm also deep in studying the zero thrust line modification. Do you have any idea how increasing AOI interacts with the thrust line change?

I did not design the setup. Best I understand the builder wanted a simpler configuration and the RV7 tail already has a trim system. It works Ok as it is but will not trim nose up at slow speeds when loaded normal to forward CG. Probably not going to change it though. Just an annoyance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

No extra compression tubes or wires at the end of the wing. Extend old spars or cut new ones to length you want (usually two bays) put univair butt rib on the end with tip of choice.

AOI change effect on thrust line would be a great topic for separate post.
DENNY

Last edited:
No extra compression tubes or wires at the end of the wing. Extend old spars or cut new ones to length you want (usually two bays) put univair butt rib on the end with tip of choice.

Thanks. That helps with planning/noodling.

AOI change effect on thrust line would be a great topic for separate post.

Good point. I spent quite a bit of my spare time reading the threads about zero thrust lines and angle of incidence. I'm sort of worn out now ;-)

Back