• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

WagAero Super Cub question about cowling

Gnuse

I am nearing the end of getting this aircraft back into the air. I don't have the original plans to help guide me, but I am wondering about the structure that supports the back of the upper cowl and lower cowl. Specifically, the curved piece that mounts to the fuselage and then the cowls fasten to it. What I have looks very crude and maybe not even what was intended.

Thanks for help or photos or whatever.

Cub cowls are 4 pieces that attach to 4 channels. The channels are attached to the firewall with L angles and then to the nose bowl.

Attachments

• 79ADC02E-99CB-415E-946F-31CD08BD886E.jpeg
    79ADC02E-99CB-415E-946F-31CD08BD886E.jpeg
    215.8 KB · Views: 145
Thanks for these great photos on your site. I had found your site last week.

The piece I am referring to, and I don't have a photo of it, is a "channel" that mounts to the fuselage at the top of the channel and the bottom of the channel. The cowlings then screw to it. It seems it was done to provide support for the curvature and the opening to vent hot air.

cowl 4.jpg
The channel goes behind the cowl, between these two arrows. At least that is how the builder did it. I didn't know if the plans showed this or it was added.

Attachments

• cowl 4.jpg
    cowl 4.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 269
IMG_0635.jpg

I found a picture that shows the channel...see red arrow. It is pretty beat up and crude. Is this per plans?

Attachments

• IMG_0635.jpg
    IMG_0635.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 182
Thanks for these great photos on your site. I had found your site last week.

The piece I am referring to, and I don't have a photo of it, is a "channel" that mounts to the fuselage at the top of the channel and the bottom of the channel. The cowlings then screw to it. It seems it was done to provide support for the curvature and the opening to vent hot air.

View attachment 33266
The channel goes behind the cowl, between these two arrows. At least that is how the builder did it. I didn't know if the plans showed this or it was added.

In my ignorance, I left that part out since I didn't know it existed. My side panels are .038" 6061-T6 and seem to be stiff enough that they are OK without the supporting channel. I admittedly didn't have any plans for that type of cowl, so just made it up as I went along. I have seen some Aluminum L shaped stiffeners that fit along the back edge of the cowl sides. I've also seen some others with a rolled edge that was rolled around the trailing edge of the side piece as a stiffener.

-Cub Builder

that is a C shaped channel .... but I usually just use a piece of 1/8" flat aluminum bar 1" or 3/4" wide rolled to shape... so does Atlee's cowl doors..

Back