• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

GPS Antenna Position Ideas

AirmasterC165

Walpole NH
I'm installing a GPS Antenna as part of my ADS-B installation. I have a Trig TT31 Transponder and now I'm adding the TN70 with the antenna.

I'm seeking suggestions on GPS antenna installation on my Super Cub. My wing fairings each have COM antennas. I did see one installation near the stock battery, all internal. My SC has a metal belly. I don't have a lot of antenna knowledge, but ready to learn.

Many thanks, Bill

Under the skylight works fine. No holes required. Attach a bracket to the cross brace.

Last edited:
High up and level is best. Remember that it's looking for a signal from the sky. Under the skylight works but that's about the only internal mount I favor. If you put it inside the fabric, ferrous metal and metallic base dope will affect it's operation. I've seen them mounted on the battery access cover on the fuselage back. Seems to work good.

If your comm antennas are mounted on the forward end of the fairings you can mount the GPS antenna on the aft end. If you can keep them an arms length away from each other it usually works just fine.

Web

Bill,
The installation instructions usually call out a minimum distance
from comm antennas. So comms are worse than others.
My Stratus required 30 inch separation that was pretty hard to come up with.
You can get filters for your GPS coax if you run into problems.
Dave

I have two GPS antennas mounted on the fuel tank covers, fwd and inboard. Both work fine.

Antennas in general are bad news on tank covers. If you take a lightning strike it will usually go to a high point. Like an antenna. To much electricity to close to fuel. Obviously a com antenna would be worse than a GPS teardrop, but why decrease your odds of winning?

Web

I don't plan to be close to any lightning in a PA-18 and in any case, those fuel caps their associated vent tubes stick up way higher. It would be more likely for a strike to run down the vent tube.

High up and level is best. Remember that it's looking for a signal from the sky. Under the skylight works but that's about the only internal mount I favor. ....

When I installed a Garmin G5 in my C180, from what I'd read I didn't expect the internal antenna to work all that well.
So I bought a Garmin GA25-BNC antenna, it lays on top of the glareshield and works great.
$20 + $4 shipping from GPScity.com.

Bill,
The installation instructions usually call out a minimum distance
from comm antennas. So comms are worse than others.
My Stratus required 30 inch separation that was pretty hard to come up with.
You can get filters for your GPS coax if you run into problems.
Dave

My installer said the GTX335 manual called out 24" from other antennas. What does the manual say?

Back