• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Repairing C-185 door hinge

Tom3holer

Cape Cod
In doing a preflight the other day I noticed the upper pax door hinge appears to have a crack in the top two attach points the hinge pin goes through. They are both in the center of the loop facing forward then the door is closed. Does anyone know if its possible to have these tig welded? I helped replace a upper door hinge on a C-210 recently and it was hard finding one used and a bit of work installing it.

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited:
They brake from wind catching the door on opening and the only cure I know of is the door stewards. Tig-ing them might work but depending on the paint condition of the plane you might want to remove it first. Then your call on replace or repair at that point. Again Cessna doesn't = inexpensive as you know.good luck with it.

Thanks,
I have the latch at the bottom of the wing that stops it from opening too far but agree the door stewards are the way to go.
I along with my IA will look the ads and see if we can find a used one. We do have a couple of good shops that do tig and I will take the door to them to see what they think.

Tom

Back