• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Grove vs Cleveland

stewartb

I have a brake question. My Cub kit included Matco master cylinders and a Grove brake and wheel kit. I'll reserve the Grove wheels for future use since my 35s require ABW 10" wheels. I was told that BCSC uses Grove brakes because they'll work with the 35s. Here's my question. I have a brand new set of Cleveland brakes and torque plates from the last project and now the Grove brakes and torque plates. Which ones do I want to install and why?

They are probably equivalent, except that Grove wheel has approval for larger tires. The initial cost, and maybe resale value, is dramatically different.

For the calipers alone, just take them apart and look.

All I use now is Grove. I fly airplanes with Cleveland/Steves/North River. All seem to do a good job, but I will always opt for reservoir systems. My buddy with the PA-12 installed Grove masters, he says, in 45 minutes flat, and says the aircraft has dramatically better brakes.

Last edited:
Not familiar with Grove approvals but recall my big tires STCs requiring Cleveland double puck brakes. Maybe Grove added big tires to accommodate? No matter, I'm EX. I'm interested in what's different and whether one is better for my application. I'm familiar with Cleveland but have zero knowledge of or experience with Grove. I'm trying to learn.

How do folks feel about the Matco masters? I just put on the Matco intensifiers and that helped a lot. But could still get better.

AKT

Take them apart side by side. Or fly them back-to-back.

On the masters, I know nothing about Matco, and have not flown Dakota, but Steves or Grove will give excellent service in a Cub.

Mr.Grove set me straight. Brand for brand makes no difference. He says the key to brake power is piston size and both of my sets are 1 3/4" so that's equal. The next consideration is with big tires there's lots of torque so the brake caliper casting needs to be aluminum, not magnesium. Magnesium will crack at the torque pins before aluminum will. Equal again. The last thing he said was with big tires it's imperative to use 6 bolt torque plates. My Airframes gear was ordered with 1 1/2" axles and came with 6 bolt attachment plates and while the Grove kit has 6 bolt torque plates the Clevelands have 4 bolt plates. That decides it. Groves are going on the plane. I wanted to know. Maybe somebody else will find the info useful.

Thank You for all the opinions and information.

The Groves sre available with Desser 31"'s TUBELESS!! for a decent price through Desser with Alaska Airmens Association Tradeshow pricing extended for a bit.

I want em!!

Thank You for all the opinions and information.

The Groves sre available with Desser 31"'s TUBELESS!! for a decent price through Desser with Alaska Airmens Association Tradeshow pricing extended for a bit.

I want em!!

Dave, for the one's that didn't get to the show, what was that price? I talked to Desser tech support a few days ago and all he could say was the wheels and tires package was to be priced about at the level of the ABW 31 tire alone. I could not find anyone in Desser sales that could tell me anything about these tires and wheels. Actually called Desser 3 times then decided to try their tech support people and finally got a little information. All the sales guys wanted to know was "what aircraft the tire goes under". I tried to explain but...

$3999 31" Desser tires, Grove 10x6.50 rims, double puck brakes, and torque plates. No tubes necessary, nor wanted!

And the brake discs are larger diameter than Clevelands. More braking power.

Also, the finish on the Groves is reported to be hard anodized versus Clevelands cheapo finishes.

To be fair to Alaska Bushwheels Inc's PMA'ed Cleveland copies.....ABI uses a very nice finish!

I've used the Matco master cylinders in all three planes that I've built, including the SuperCub Clone with heel brakes, double puck Cleveland slave cylinders and 26" Good Years. I've been really happy with them.

-Cub Builder

Back