• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Who's got experience with a Dakota 18 kit and/or the North Star also)

Drahcir

Hi folks:

So I guess I've been lurking for a while now, reading about people's exploits while flying Cubs, and their trials and tribulations building them.

I'm particularly interested in what I've read about the Dakota 18-180 or -160. I like the fact that the Super 18 is out there flying around, and that the kits use (mostly) the same parts.

There doesn't seem to be much info out there from people who've put the kits together. Can anyone share some experiences? Extract from build instructions?

I'm also quite interested in the North Star. I live in Ontario, not too far from Custom Flight, so logistically they'd be really good to deal with.

Especially considering where the Cdn $ is.

People on this site have praised the North Star's flying qualities (with some reservations about the gear), so I'd appreciate a bit more info about their experiences putting together the kits and especially any insight (samples?) on the documentation provided.

I'm getting to that spot where the kids are big enough to be independent- yet still be interested in a project with their father- giving me enough time to take something like this on. Interested in these kits in particular as I'm hoping to spend more time assembling rather than designing and fabricating parts.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Last edited:
To your question, I have no experience with either. To your concerns, among the popular choices? I'd say Cubcrafters has the best kit if you want to assemble a Cub from provided parts and an assembly manual. If you prefer a more authentic Piper-style Cub, the popular choice is Javron. I looked long and hard at those options before I went with Back Country's Rev 2. The different kits build different airplanes. Decide which airplane suits you best and work backwards to find the best kit for you.

Thanks for the thoughts. I've looked at info on these kits both on this site and elsewhere- as you point out they've all certainly got their strong points.

Stewart nailed it. I have visited the Dakota operation and got to fly their slotted wing cub. They have a great operation and lots of knowledge. It looks to me like they would be a great choice for a good flying, heavy hauling, and very heavy duty classic looking cub. Possibly a little overbuilt in some areas and definitely one of the heavier kits out there. I have also met with Jay a couple times, and the Javron cub is quite a bit lighter. Possibly not quite as heavy duty. They both have their plusses and minuses. I have been around during two Javron builds and I can tell you that the Javron kit is extremely well put together and well thought out. If your looking to build a certified cub in the end, the options are pretty limited.

When dropping the kind of$$ that's involved, a field trip to the factory sounds like a heck of a good idea! I'm going to visit Custom Flight, but Dakota, etc, would be a little more complicated. Hence any first hand build info would also be appreciated.

Thanks once again to all.

I Bill Rusks thread on his build is one of best places to start. It not only covers how he did it, but add in a lot of other ways and ideals on how to do a build.
DENNY

I Bill Rusks thread on his build is one of best places to start. It not only covers how he did it, but add in a lot of other ways and ideals on how to do a build.
DENNY

That thread's actually been quite an inspiration to me. I've reviewed it closely. I try and subscribe to the belief that "It's the journey, not just the destination"...but all the same, the thread did make me consider how much fabrication work I wanted to do myself, and what I'd be happier to purchase premade or pre-assembled.

You mentioned you are close to Morgan, why not go over and see him. I believe he has one for sale and you might get a chance to fly her or at least a close inspection. What I have seen in the Northstar is heavy tank like so far. And i mean that in a good way. You mentioned the gear, if you dont like his there are certainly many gear and wheel options out there.

Back