• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fabric repair

jimboflying

The fabric on the rear belly of my amphib is peeling paint. The exposed fabric has a green tint. There is no silver just bare fabric. What has caused this and what must i do now? Age of the fabric and paint is unknown.

No silver? That's scary. Recover & proper finish may be in your future. :(

The fabric on the rear belly of my amphib is peeling paint. The exposed fabric has a green tint. There is no silver just bare fabric. What has caused this and what must i do now? Age of the fabric and paint is unknown.

Im guessing the silver came off with the peeling paint, also guessing that if its "peeling" it's finished in urethane in which case tough to do a spot repair. If it's an isolated area (not showing signs of failing in multiple areas) one can scuff the area in question glue on a patch (assuming Randolph process = green) bring the repaired area up thru silver then try to blend and match topcoat.
Other option, put a sticker over it.

Is what's left a bit oily? If you've had an oily belly that may nix any thoughts of a cleanup and repaint. jrh

Stewarts

e0be6fd4298b8a7152406219.jpg

d0f25a4f6fb755c18b27f1ba.jpg

ebdbe209bab7ad18ee342c44.jpg

Cubus Maximus, a bit of thread drift here, but your images are the best illustration of using the rotisserie, and yours is big enough to actually work around: Very nice.

Thanks. cubscout

..of using the rotisserie, and yours is big enough to actually work around:..

more stuff to store and trip over...

i still just use a homemade end turner made from a streering strait rod end, and a saw horse... has worked fine for over 30 years or so...

Come on Mike, that is the best rotisserie I've ever seen.
Have used a complete rotator like that for years and wouldn't do it any other way. Really great for spraying as you can just keep rolling it around without touching wing surfaces. I usually put the bottom fabric on and that mount it in the rotator and it doesn't come out again until finish painted. I have two of them and sometimes use both at the same time.

I would guess it's ceconite. If they didn't get the nitrate in good on the very first coat, the butyrate doesn't stick so well. That happens. Who knows what the topcoat is... You can do some testing and figure out what topcoat (somewhat) you have. If you're not going to try to recover, you'll need to go back with the steps of the process. Nothing in the logbooks?

Back