• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Leading edge

STEEL

Hi all,
I am halfway through building my form to layup my own carbon leading edges.
I did a short prototype, test fitted on ribs, all good.
Busy with a longer form.
The lip that is required at the back of the leading edges for the fuel tank covers, how does this join to the rest of the leading edge.
Should I just make a length of leading edge for only the tank area, then remove the lip part for the rest of the leading edges.
Same for the junction of the trailing edge. I understand the trailing edge at flap and aileron is slightly different (still getting to that.)
so I can just change my form for that to accommodate the change.

Thanks for the advice,
Regards,
Neal.

The fuel bay leading edge and false spar have a joggle so the fuel tank lid fits flush when installed. Long wing Pipers have different shaped false spars between the flap and aileron bays. Short Wing Pipers use the same for flap as the aileron and use a bent flap hinge.

like steve said... original piper has joggle...

but the wings backcountry use do not have the joggle....and tank lid just sits on top... probably not a huge concern to make a separate mold..

Thanks,
easy enough to change the form for the tank leading edges.
for the trailing edge difference: not knowing all the cub variations would a PA-18 be considered a long wing cub?
So the trailing edge would "joggle" from flap to aileron.

The transition between the flap and aileron false spar.
5eb98e2eaa59cb08936715ae6c06804d.jpg

The flap false spar profile.
db901a7ba119c88f6843ee0fccc07d66.jpg

Long wing Pipers are everything except PA15/17 Vagabond, PA16 Clipper, PA20 Pacer, PA22 Tri-Pacer and Colt.

Sent from my SM-N900V using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I other thing I notice on the photo's:
Is the first rib on the wing (closest to fuse) a full rib?
Drawing 14394 does not show this, but Steve's photo of the trailing edge flap opening, shows a full rib and I have seen other wings (uncovered) that show the same (full rib).
Is this an oversight on the drawing (redrawn by NORTHLAND) or was the more modern cubs done this way?
Thanks

Yes as it supports the wing root fairing.

A popular mod has been to cut this rib back to extend the flap to the fuselage. Whether or not this small additional amount of flap provides much performance change is up for discussion.

I other thing I notice on the photo's:
Drawing 14394 does not show this, but Steve's photo of the trailing edge flap opening, shows a full rib and I have seen other wings (uncovered) that show the same (full rib).
Is this an oversight on the drawing (redrawn by NORTHLAND) or was the more modern cubs done this way?
Thanks

No, it is what I refer to as a 3/4 rib with another part that screws on to mount the wing root fairing to.

Back