• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Any Murphy Elite pilots here?

Speedo

FOUNDER
TN
There is Murphy Elite on amphibs currently advertised on Barnstormers. Are there are Murphy Elite pilots here who could give me a pirep or who have specific knowledge of the plane being sold?

is that the one in Bethel???

If so, it is parked right outside where I am sitting
I don't think so: the ad says it's in Indiana. The N number is visible in the pictures, so I can't give you that. It looks to be red with some polished aluminum.

Eric.. finally found it on Barnstormers. Hard to find when he didn't key it for search as "float plane" "amphib" or "Murphy"! lol

I have never seen this one (which is a fairly rare occurrence), nor know the builder and as you know I have lived in the Murphy world now for 25 years as the main advice giver to builders around the world.

The price makes me wonder, but he could just need it gone. I sold the Elite on 2200 Clamars that I had here 2 years ago for $132k Cdn.. so about 100K in green backs and at that time there was an almost identical Elite for sale in Maine for about 15K US higher and I know John sold his as well.

The 1800 Murphy's under it are worth a bit less than the Clamars... but still plenty of float to keep the Elite out of the water at full gross.

It would need a really good pre-purchase before buying and someone that knows what to look for to make sure it was built correctly. The biggest issue I've seen over the years is builders cutting wing stringers to make sealing fuel tanks (wet wing) easier. Of course doing so they take all the compression strength out of the critical part of the wing. That and welded fuel tanks inserted in a similar fashion. All things to check and ask questions about!

Need better high res pictures, that are clear, of all the structure. Clear shots of gear strut attachments front and back and the fuselage skins around them. Engine cowling exit and other things.

Willing to help walk you through if it becomes of serious interest.

I would definitely trust what that ^^^^ guys has to say or offer for advice on the Murphy products. :)

I would definitely trust what that ^^^^ guys has to say or offer for advice on the Murphy products. :)

Save your money, just buy him a ticket to go look at the plane.

So often it is better to not see a bird, but let the mechanic do the looking!

Back