• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Moving to the dark side!!

DENNY

SPONSOR
After several years of giving spam can drivers a hard time about taking forever to get in the air it looks like I now is one. I now have the very first 1960 Cessna 180 in my hanger. It came with factory float kit, floats, skis, wheels, and sportsman STOL kit. 0470L with 160 hrs. Great compressions on annual. This is a family owned plane, we plan to fly it for the summer and take a lot of Motrin to fight off MOREBETTERDISEASE until fall. I still have the cub and that will be my primary ride. Cessna will be tied down at lake hood with other family members. Lots more knobs and buttons than my cub maybe that is why it takes so long for you guys to get moving.:lol: Any problems with taking out carpet and just going with painted floor?

DENNY

Congrats. You may discover you prefer the size and speed!

Bare floor would be a pain. Inspection hatch spring pins and doors will pop loose, dirt will sift into the belly, and it's not very attractive. Get some 36" diamond plate rubber runner from AK Rubber. Use the old carpet as a template and cut the rubber with a utility knife. It'll lay flat and stay in place quite well. Easy to clean, tough, looks good, and isn't slicker than owl snot when your feet are wet or have a little snow on them.

Get some 36" diamond plate rubber runner from AK Rubber.

Weird... I tried to check out their website to see what they charge for this, only to get an error I've never seen before:
Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

Guess they must be on a pretty limited internet plan... Unusual for a business.

What Stewart said. And also congrats Denny! I know it will be hard for you to give time to the 180, I'll be happy to help you keep any rust from accumulating in the engine. Just a short flight from my place to Hood and then I can exercise her for you. :)

...Bare floor would be a pain. Inspection hatch spring pins and doors will pop loose, dirt will sift into the belly, and it's not very attractive. Get some 36" diamond plate rubber runner from AK Rubber. ....

I like carpet-- light & inexpensive, and easy to wipe your feet off on when required.
Just shake it out or vacuum it once in a while.
A buddy of mine uses cardboard- cheap (as in free), keeps the floor & bilge clean, just replace when soiled.

I put some AeroDot flooring in after a bunch of good pireps. It weighs about 4lbs and looks really good. I'm over at Hilltop if you want to take a look.

c10fe5d345e279ae220f5e92b380a04b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
We used AeroDot(from SCS) on our 180,with the 1/4" high density foam pad."Really fantastic, believe me". It's the same stuff that Learjet uses on the entrance door steps;I think our plane is a little faster now.

I have been to the dark side, and now I am back. It was a cool experiment, but not for me. Enjoy your new ride.

Mike

Denny It's all OK ,lot's of us are dual owners. Two different planes ,two missions ,one mind set. Enjoy !!
Randy Long Long's Aircraft PA-18 C-180

It comes from aipsource.com. It looks like they call it Aerofloor DOT, not Aerodot. Their other options are thicker and heavier.

I will try to get a good pic this week. Partners going to try to knock out check ride for insurance company. Should get some when it is out in the light.
DENNY

I was at airport today and Dave just did his 180 with the aerodots. Stays in place and looked great.
Tom fly down to C-town and take a look

Glenn

AeroDot looks cool. Especially if the whole floor treatment only cost 4 pounds.

I like the rubber diamond plate, super durable, easy cleaning and lays flat, but it is heavy. Will weigh some shortly and get back with a weight.

Denny, the "dark side" is CC, not Cessna

Back