• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

82"Borer on PA12

C130jake

BENEFACTOR
Four Corners Wyoming
As a new part owner of a PA12 on floats, I have a couple of questions.

We are taking it off the floats this week to try out the skis. Can we run the 82inch or should we put the 76inch cruise prop on? Looking thru my pictures of the log books, I do not see prop changes when the previous owner swapped back and fourth.

I don't have access to the paperwork. It's at the plane 150 miles north and I can't drive until my shoulder heals up a bit more.

It has the old 12 gear and federal2000 straight skis and 7" tires.

Is prop length an issue?

Thanks

Jake

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jake

Im pretty sure you need 8.5 tires or 3" extended gear for the Borer on land planes. Have fun with the gear bunnies and be careful.

KJC, that's what we thought without having the paperwork.

The mechanic swapping to skis will swap the prop so we won't have any delay picking up the plane on Friday.

The previous owner had big tires and didn't swap props apparently.

It makes sense that he kept the old prop to sell with the 7" wheels. I guess we will know for sure friday. I was only trying to save a little headache swapping propellers.

Jake

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Presently installing an 82" prop on my 12 with 3" extended gear per STC SA02170AK. Per Installation Instructions # MP-100.0 Ground clearance on standard gear is achieved with 8.50 tires or larger. Minimum clearance for skis is 9" from the axle centerline to the bottom of the ski. FWIW hope this helps......Rod

Read the STC that was used to put the Prop on.

My bad, I missed the part where you arent' close to your paperwork.
But the mechanic should be able to read it and determine it. Like badmd said, it might work depending on the ski heigth. I'll measure mine.

They are about 8 1/4 inch. your STC may be different than badmn's

Last edited:
..... Minimum clearance for skis is 9" from the axle centerline to the bottom of the ski.....

FWIW I believe this is also the minimum clearance with wheels also.
And that's in level flying position, loaded to gross weight, with the wheels (or skis) on greased plates to allow the gear to deflect as it would in real life.

FWIW I believe this is also the minimum clearance with wheels also.
And that's in level flying position, loaded to gross weight, with the wheels (or skis) on greased plates to allow the gear to deflect as it would in real life.

yes prop tip to ground in level flight position is what i remember.., and this also only applies to -18 gear and bungies, not sure of travel difference in stock -12 setup..

Back