• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

2+2 part II?

THE MACHINIST

I hesitated too long on the other 2+2 and its gone but was told about another one that is complete minus fwf that has a damaged tail and spars

my question is would it be possible to slit the fabric on the bottom of fuselage peal fabric forward splice in new tail section strip fabric reglue shrink and refinish. This plane only has 26 hours on so fabric should be fresh
I know I'm over simplifying
Another thought I had was to metalize the bottom or part of it in case I'm short on fabric and I like that idea anyway for off field operations.

i May be dreaming just thought it would be worth a try.

Thanks in advance

jamie

at first blush, tail, wings and engine need repair/replace.

Seems like a bunch of fixing/buying. fwf gets in to big money really quickly

Almost anything is fixable and there are numerous shortcuts to accomplishing the deed. It depends a lot on your abilities and the amount of money that you are willing to spend.
Metalizing the belly requires welding tabs, it's easier and quicker to install fabric.
Discounting the labor which is yours, figure how much it will cost to buy everything firewall forward, new spars and other broken wing parts and the cost of the new tail section. Subtract this cost from your estimation of the value of the completed airplane. Is the price to buy the plane more than this number? A quick off the top of my head number would be a minimum of an additional $30k.

Thank you For all your thoughts. It comes down to economics of course.
How much does a history of damage if repaired correctly devalue a bird?
The owner said he had 100k in it and the insurance only gave him 80 so I
assume he was underinsured or a very large deductible.

Thank you again for your Time and knowledge

Jamie

Call Darin Hart at Legend Aircraft and buy my old PA-14. Good flying airplane. Fly it now and improve it as budget allows. It will probably be cheaper than buying a wrecked 2+2.

I have a 2 place Avid flyer C model to fly right now. I was just looking for something I could repair over time as finances allow so that I could take my family with me.

Thank you again for your Time and thoughts

Jamie

I hesitated too long on the other 2+2 and its gone but was told about another one that is complete minus fwf that has a damaged tail and spars

my question is would it be possible to slit the fabric on the bottom of fuselage peal fabric forward splice in new tail section strip fabric reglue shrink and refinish. This plane only has 26 hours on so fabric should be fresh
I know I'm over simplifying
Another thought I had was to metalize the bottom or part of it in case I'm short on fabric and I like that idea anyway for off field operations.

i May be dreaming just thought it would be worth a try.

Thanks in advance

jamie
If you need 2+2 wings, I have a set in perfect condition, new cover

Back