• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Inverted Dogleg

danal

FRIEND
Sumter SC
Hey all,

I recently retired from the Air Force and Air National Guard after 36 years and caught up enough on the chores to the point I can now start working on the SC project. I have the last tack welded fuselage from Robert Spraker that has been hanging in the rafters of my hangar for 6 years or better and today the wife helped me get it down and set it on sawhorses. Well, Mr. Spraker ran out of tubing so this one is not a complete basic fuselage. I got my Northair drawings out so I can make a materials list with the thought of adding the popular boonies mods. Pardon my ignorance but I have a simple question about the dogleg. The Northair drawings show the bend in the dogleg in the lower right. What is the favored mod for boonies types? To my eye it would seem to have most benefit if the bend was placed in the upper left so as to facilitate use of a oversized baggage door. Any and all comments on any mods welcome. Thanks, Dana LaBounty

Flipping the dogleg is a common and useful mod that I would do in a heartbeat. However, the question becomes which side to flip it to. The upper left is how it is commonly done. That is how mine is and works good most of the time. The times I have problems is when loading long stuff into the plane from the front. Large propane bottles, 8ft boards, myself(sleeping), ect. It would be better if the bend was in the top right. If you only load or carry short stuff it won't matter just something to think about. I have a buddy that did it on the left last year I will call and see how he likes it. While you are there weld in tabs for the belly pod ect.
DENNY

Back