• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Brake Installation?

STEEL

Need some advice from some of you knowledgeable people:
Busy with an experimental build, PA-18, and managed to find a pair of brake assemblies on E-bay.

I notice the one set (LHS) does not have the threaded fitting on the front for the Scott 4200 park brake valve to screw into.
Should I just drill out and weld on a nut to the the front of the brake where the park brake should screw in.

Out of interest, would these brake assemblies possible have come from a different type of cub that didn't use a park brake, or only used them on the one side?

I have attached the picture of the brake assemblies as well as drawing 13399 which shows the brake Installation.
Thank you,
Neal.

Attachments

• IMG_6884.jpg
    IMG_6884.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 178
  • 13399 BRAKE INST..pdf
    250 KB · Views: 120
What threads are in that left one? They ought to be 1/8" pipe threads. The fitting which connects the park brake valve to the master cylinder is a 1/8 pipe nipple. Generally just a brass nipple from the hardware store, 1/8 pipe both ends. Those fittings on your park valves are to connect to tubing and are not the correct ones.

Came off a J3. I have several of the front pieces you need. You need pipe thread fitting on the parking brake to screw into the brake cylinder. PM me your address and I will mail you one.

Okay, so the blue fitting on the park valve must be replaced with the correct pipe fitting.
Steve: thank you, are you saying you have some of those front pieces that go on the brake? Or the park valve pipe fitting.
I live in South Africa, so don't expect you to ship it here.

By products of installing brake boosters.
20161220_092346.jpg
These have the pipe nipple in them for the parking brake valve or there is a longer one with a he in the middle.

Attachments

• 20161220_092346.jpg
    20161220_092346.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 158
Hi Steve:
I have an uncle in St Louis, maybe you can ship it there.
i don't mind paying the shipping.
i will need some other stuff from Spruce in the new year sent there too before getting it all sent over to me.
Enough other stuff to keep me busy.
Will PM you the address.
thanks, Neal

I know this doesn't answer your question, but if you are doing an Experimental build, why would you fool with the Scott Master Cylinders rather than buying a set of piston type master cylinders that work and actually give you braking pressure? The Matco cylinders from Aircraft Spruce or other sources are relatively inexpensive, and work so much better.

-Cub Builder

Brake boosters are going to me a must on those old scotts. Either the North River boosters or the Steves brake boosters will be a huge upgrade over the stock diaphragm style brake cylinders. If you are running double puck brakes or big tires those stock cylinders won't have enough pressure.

Grove makes an entire assembly. It gives ever so slightly more pressure than the add-ons, has reservoirs, and eliminates the angle between the pedal and the plunger that moves the piston.

Down here here the wind is gentle, park brakes are way more trouble than they are worth. Experienced aviators come to me with tailwheel problems, and I fix them by releasing the parking brake. No charge.

Back