• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Electric Trim Explained

I am going to consider one of these for my flap actuator. Looks to be plenty quick. The trim system for my plane has been built so I expect I will stick to what I have but these might have a use elsewhere. Time to buy a sample, find out what they weigh and fiddle with it.

I am going to consider one of these for my flap actuator. Looks to be plenty quick. The trim system for my plane has been built so I expect I will stick to what I have but these might have a use elsewhere. Time to buy a sample, find out what they weigh and fiddle with it.

Just remember that when one of these actuators quit working, that's it. The flaps, or whatever you hook it to, are stuck in that position.

Web

Backcountry included one of these for my trim. They piggy-back a Ray Allen position sensor on it, too. Hell for stout but AEI has smaller units. RV builders use electric flaps. Ask somebody in the RV community what they use. Garmin makes a module for controlling flaps from the G3X. Trim, too, but my actuator consumes too much current for the G3X.

Attachments

• IMG_3189.PNG
    IMG_3189.PNG
    329.4 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_2126.jpg
    IMG_2126.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
I put electric elevator trim on my northstar 18 years ago. Used a rear windshield wiper motor from a Hyundai pony to drive the jackscrew. Push buttons on both sticks operate a simple relay system to run it up and down. Has worked great for years. Eliminated a hole mess of pulleys and cable, actually saved a little weight.
Having the trim on the stick is really nice when turning base to final, you can keep one hand for throttle and flaps the other on the stick with trim and PTT. One of the advantages to homebuilt category.

The Ray Allen pitch trim motor/ drive on my S-7S experimental has worked flawlessly for 2000 hrz plus.It kind of surprised me to see the concept even up for discussion? The control forces are not so great that in event of it failing, I couldn't over power it, so what's not to like, for an experimental.

Stewart, Could you give us the weight of that trim system with the crosstube?
I am at a touch over 2# with my crosstube, ballscrew and power window motor. I have yet to make all the mounting structure which will add a half pound bringing my full system to roughly 2.5 pounds. A bit heavier than I hoped for.

I'm not near the plane now and frankly don't cherish the thought of removing that assembly to weigh it. I'll look again when I do get near the plane. Perhaps one of the Rev 2 builders who isn't as far along will offer a weight? I think one or two are lurking here.

Kevin Quinn's Rev 2 uses a smaller actuator than mine. I don't know why BCSC changed to the bigger unit. Heavier duty? Less expensive? More available?

I'm not near the plane now and frankly don't cherish the thought of removing that assembly to weigh it.

Ahh yes, my mind responded to the picture you posted of the trim without thought to the fact the project has progressed since the pic was taken.
The actuator in your application seems to be seriously robust for the job at hand. It is curious as to the reason for the larger unit.

I would consider a time-out circuit as mandatory on a pitch trim arrangement.

Back