• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

How many PA-22 parts could I use on a PA-18 build?

e28rusty

We're making good progress on our fuselage and starting to look at engines. The plan is an O-320 which it looks like I can find for around 5 grand. Started looking around and found some tri pacers and colts for sale with an O-320 for around 10k complete. I've heard wing components are shared and presumably we could salvage some avionics and sell the parts we don't use. Is this worthwhile? What other parts could we use for our build? Keep in mind at this point we have more time than money ha ha.

experimental or certified?

flap bay ribs maybe?? are they the same length/shape as -18?? or are they -12 length???

fuel tanks and mounting?(other than they are electric gauges on pacer)

honestly i don't think its worth it $$ wise unless you just happened to already own one.....

What about the flaps? If it has Cleveland wheels, couldn't you use those? I'm just about positive, you can use the rudder. Maybe the crossover stacks? (not the muffler) Baffles? Flywheel. Spinner. Prop if you pitch it down a bit - might be OK as is if you want to go fast. Tail brace wires. Some ribs. Compression ribs? Fuel tanks - weld on the fittings for the gauges. Depends upon the Tri-Pacer you get and the condition. Alternatively, convert the Flying Milk Stool into a tailwheel, do a few mods and fly cheap. My original Pacer with VG's and 150HP gets in an out great, goes like gee whiz, and has loads of room. It is super quick on the ailerons, and has a 1900 pound gross weight. (P.S. A well deserved nod to Steve Pierce who recommended I buy the particular Pacer I am flying, never regretted it.)

PA22 flap ribs and hinges are different than PA18. Compression struts, aileron bay ribs and other small wing parts are the same. That is about it besides fuel valve, gascolator, trim parts and rudder

Maybe someone would buy the Pacer fuselage for low dollars for another project. Get something back. Of course, you'd might get a narrow deck engine, maybe a bad cam or crank and a pile of rubbish.

Yeah, but that's a chance with buying a used engine from anywhere. I've done this with motorcycles before and it's always been surprisingly easy to break even by selling parts I don't need, it just takes time. There are running pacers in annual in that price range that could be flown home, no guarantee that the engine is perfect but at least it's a good place to start.

I actually kinda like pacers, but we are set on building a PA-18 for now.

Flap bellcranks and associated hardware look to be the same at first glance... I've actually wondered about this myself- I see sets of complete undamgaged pa-20/22 wings w flaps advertised for $1-2k regularly. Surely tanks, ribs, compression members, misc spar/tip bow fittings, pulleys/brackets/cages, and whatever else you could find would be worth that price?

I know a guy who bought a clapped-out PA22 hulk so he could rob the pulleys, fittings, etc out of the wings for a scratch-built SC project..

Back