• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

NAS679-XX Internal Wrenching tool

Grant

FRIEND
At Work.....
I'm not crazy, but no one, except one guy on the field, has an old worn out tool for the inside of a NAS679 nut commonly used on exhaust clamps. I'm trying to buy a new one but I have had NO LUCK. I also searched the forum and there is no mention of NAS679 anywhere in supercub.org...(Which makes me think now that maybe I am crazy.....) Anyway I have attached an image of the nut type as well as an image of what his tool looks like....

I'd sure like to know where to get one. His came from the "Airlines"

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot - 10_12_2016 , 11_32_44 AM.png
    Screenshot - 10_12_2016 , 11_32_44 AM.png
    16 KB · Views: 699
  • NAS_Hardware_NAS679-CO8-01.jpg
    NAS_Hardware_NAS679-CO8-01.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 811
A bolt with the right size head, center drilled on a lathe??? Or a nut that will fit inside, welded or brazed to a shank??? Or simply center drill on a lathe the hex tool you have shown, probably the easiest?

Betcha MCS Mike has an exotic but simple solution - - -

Those are lock nuts , use the right socket / wrench on the outside faces of the nut not the inside. .

Those are lock nuts , use the right socket / wrench on the outside faces of the nut not the inside. .

Yes they are, however when they are old and rusty a wrench, including sockets will slip on them because so much of the material is gone. it's not a matter of being able to get them off, I can get them off with vise grips and replace with new nuts and bolts. But the reason this tool exists is to make it easier to remove them when they are ruined and in need of replacement. It's about getting them off easily, not just getting them off.

Found it...I think

From another forum:

Palnuts were used on aviation engines as a locking device to discourage plain nuts from backing off. I use the word "discourage" instead of "prevent" because tests later showed that they were ineffective at that task. I always used a box wrench on the outer hex, and Pratt & Whitney factory tools did too. Later on there was a stamped, self-locking hex nut that had a similar internal hex. They were nicknamed "McNamara" nuts because Robert McNamara was Secretary of Defense and demanded all sorts of cost-saving designs be adopted, whether they worked or not. It was designated NAS679. These are actually quite strong. They could be torqued with a wrench that looked quite like the Snap-On Palnut socket, but I have only seen a couple of these sockets "in the wild", and that was at Boeing Surplus 30+ years ago.

Snap-on...

Attachments

• 1dbf04f14d753195bef33e6f20a5946a.jpg
    1dbf04f14d753195bef33e6f20a5946a.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 175
Like Gordon said, to cheapskate it drill out a nut that fits inside and weld it to something. must be something between metric and standard that will fit nice?

Back