• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

185 Exhaust extension question

Tom3holer

Cape Cod
Hi,

I am looking at a 185 that has some corrosion most likely due to its very short exhaust stack it has.
Can anyone suggest options for exhaust stack extensions on a 185?

Thanks,
Tom

J.C. Whitney was a popular source for years in AK......Available in chrome if you're into bling...

MTV

Every extension I've seen, including the two I've owned, has been a welded-on mitered stainless tube of equal diameter as the outlet. The miter turns the diagonal outlet to vertical (presumably to allow the bottom cowl to be removed easily). Wouldn't adding it be a minor alteration? Ask your mechanic to do it or refer you to somebody who can.

Last edited:
I had the one MTV mentioned , on my 180. It was held on with a hose clamp (chrome). On the 185 there was a SS extension, a collar and extension pipe held on with a PK screw.i put a AN-3 and working fine. Just a note the 56' had a left exit for the pipe from the cowling and caused CO2 to enter the cockpit, the extension solved that problem.

Texas Skyways is a good place to do business. I think that their extensions are for 182s. This: http://www.acornwelding.com/ is a source for 185 mufflers with exhaust extensions and beef up where the pipe joins the muffler. They are STC'd.

If the existing muffler is in good shape just use one of the alternate suggestions until you need a whole new muffler.

Pete, you are probably right. I looked at the photo closer and it does show the tailwheel being mounted up front.
I have seen pictures of them while searching for a 185 with them mounted, as mentioned, with a pin or screw to hold position and a stainless band clamp.

I've seen tailpipes on 180/185 floatplanes which come down and then turn aft, maybe at a 45 degree angle, but don't know who makes them. Maybe Kenmore or someone like that? Seen them on enough airplanes that I doubt they're home-made or cobbled up from Napa Airmotive.

Did you buy it?

Here's a typical exhaust extension. I can't imagine how you'd get the cowl off with one that swept aft.

Attachments

• IMG_0545.jpg
    IMG_0545.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 270
Tom, as Stewart says, that one would need to be removed every time the cowl came off. And it doesn't look as though it will blow the exhaust away from the fuselage, which is your intent.

The exhaust leaves the pipe close to the cowl following the boundary layer along the side of the fuselage. For aerodynamic reasons the corrosive contaminates collect behind protrusions. Since the right passenger step, gear leg and the float fitting are in this plume they get the brunt of the contamination. Usually just eating of paint and surface corrosion but if left untreated can penetrate between skins.

Actually that cowl extension is only on 180s. The 185 doesn't use it. At least it wasn't in any of the kits which I installed. It could very well be that the original idea for the extension was for the purpose which you stated because that is also an issue.

180 seaplanes and all A185Fs use cowl flap extensions according to my parts book. My book doesn't deal with the earlier model 185s. Was the exhaust extension part of the later model factory seaplane equipment? It sure is common around here.

The extension came in the seaplane kit package which Cessna stows in the airplane upon delivery. I've done several new 180/185s, all built since 1973. The 180s had the extension and the 185s did not. That said, I put the extension on my 185 anyway.

If I'm not mistaken the cowl flap extension is required on both the 180 and 185 when the belly pod is installed.

Last edited:
Check out Acorn Welding in Edmonton Alberta. They make a 185 muffler that is totally STC'd and very well made. It has an extended tail pipe built onto it. They have a website and you buy in cheap Canadian dollars. I have sold/installed lots, of these mufflers Acorn Welding also have PMA exhaust stack for the 180 185 182
Please do not just clamp an extension on the tailpipe. I know a guy that flew into the ground with a bogus extension on his 185,they found a crack on the muffler around where the tail pipe attached to the muffler can. They found high carbon monoxide in his blood stream. He died on impact!
I just noticed Acorn welding website was already mentioned in this post.

Last edited:
Thanks you all again. I will do the research suggested and get something proper. I, for the life of me, cannot understand how a owner let alone a FBO, a full service one at that, could let this go unnoticed for so many years when the corrosion issue is exacerbated by the short stack.

Beaverfixer.....goitta love the handle.

Tom

I've never heard of exhaust causing corrosion. If it did we'd see it on cowl flaps and all the way down the belly.

I can absolutely confirm that a Seaplane with short exhaust will cause corrosion. I installed floats last year, and put about 40 hours on the aircraft. I finally got around to cleaning the belly and found a great deal of corrosion hidden by the exhaust grime. It's all being treated and removed now.

When I installed the floats I had no idea that the short exhaust and carbon would cause so many issues.

I just ordered this extension from Wag Aero
https://www.wagaero.com/engine-part...77-180-182-tailpipe-extensions-faa-pma-d.html

BeaverFixer - were you referring to this type of Bolt-On Extension [the one I just ordered] or were you referring to homebrew ones?

I'll likely get an acorn later this year but I was anxious for a stop-gap and ordered this one.

There is nothing in the description for this part that says it is approved for installation on any airplane. FAA-PMA is not an approval for installation on anything. You will need an STC or a field approval to be legal.
skywagon8a, I agree with you. It says nothing about an STC to install on a 185. I would sure not be hanging anything on the end of that exhaust stack unless the muffler was built to take it. That is a fair bit of weight buffeting in the slip stream and turbulence on the end of that stack. I have seen too many mufflers crack where the tailpipe is welded in to the muffler can. Consequences of a crack, even a small one are Carbon monoxide through the heater in to the cabin. Could ruin a good fishing trip!

I've never heard of exhaust causing corrosion. If it did we'd see it on cowl flaps and all the way down the belly.

I bought a used Jeep Wrangler about 4 years ago that had 49000 miles on it. At some point the previous owner had cut off the tail pipe at the last hanger. Why I don't know, but there was obvious corrosion in that area and the rear hitch cross tube on the same side. The corrosion had to be from exhaust gases.

Im pretty sure the carbon monoxide level inside was elevated too. A new tail pipe cured it.

I had a Hawk XP for a few years. 900 hours on floats with a flush exhaust pipe. There wasn't as much as a freckle of corrosion on that plane. My 180 had the extended pipe when I got it. No corrosion on that plane, either. I don't have all the answers but my own experience doesn't support the corrosion notion.

The Acorn muffler has a fence around the outlet pipe. The shroud is cut back to the fence so the outlet pipe-muffler weld is isolated from the heat collection of the shroud. Inspection of the outlet for cracks is easy. Good stuff.

The Achorn muffler also has a reinforcement between the stack and the muffler can. This supports the weight/moment arm of the extra length of the tail pipe. That Wag pipe doesn't have any additional support. In my opinion adding extra length to the tail pipe without reinforcing where it is attached to the can is a recipe for disaster, as in cracks and carbon monoxide. Stainless steel exhaust components are very susceptible to cracking due to heat, vibration and unusual stresses. They like to crack next to welds. Just because it may look good on a preflight, doesn't mean that after one trip around the pattern it will still be airworthy.

There may be other suppliers than Achorn. I'm just not familiar with them. I have an Achorn on my 185.

Thanks everyone for the knowledge on this thread

I cancelled the order of the exhaust extension and went with the Acorn Welding muffler.

Back