• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

LED Rudder Lights

stewartb

I'm somewhat familiar with LED strobe and position lighting options but also want a beacon on top of my rudder. The only LED beacons I'm finding are seriously expensive relative to the strobe/position lights prices. That points me back toward the Whelen 70509 self-contained flasher. Am I missing something? Anyone out there found a good LED beacon alternative that isn't silly expensive?

The Kuntzleman beacon has a fairly big base housing. It looks better suited for recessing into a fuselage than attaching on top of a Cub rudder. It looks like a good light.

My Whelen LED beacon is incredibly bright, almost borderline obnoxious while flying around at night. The baseplate was large but fit the mounting bracket that was installed with the previous 'incandescent' Whelen beacon it replaced.

They still make those little hand-held strobes. I don't know if they meet the brightness requirememt, but they fit in very slim sleeves on the top of the rudder, look great, and can be powered from ships power with a simple voltage regulator.

Here's my Aveo Galactica rudder strobe mount.
5745b99569ffbf5f9c61f952f006d94e.jpg
f8694f8062a0dff3de7d9230bcc071fb.jpg
5bb7a1093a58eb30de43af008bd0ddab.jpg
55d2f8e71ccf04a4da015d2826d54d53.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While on the topic of rudder beacon lights:
Does anyone maybe have a pic showing the wire routing from the rudder beacon, passing to the vert stabilizer.
I have the hole in the metal work on the rudder which is above the vert stab, near the corner.
Does it just run through the gap into the vert stab.
What about rudder deflection, does the wire not pull tight, or is this just the way it is?
Thanks,
Steel.

I know good LED lights are available. I'm just surprised at how the ones that are appropriate for Cub rudders are mostly in the $700-750 price range. I can get a Whelen 70509 self-contained flasher with 35w halogen bulb for about $130 and it fits perfectly. I still have one in use on the other plane. At the wingtip and tail positions the experimental LEDs are surprisingly inexpensive, even for Comet Flash Whelens (I have Whelen Microburst III lights for the BCSC). Beacons? Spendy. I find it odd.

Last edited:
While on the topic of rudder beacon lights:
Does anyone maybe have a pic showing the wire routing from the rudder beacon, passing to the vert stabilizer.
I have the hole in the metal work on the rudder which is above the vert stab, near the corner.
Does it just run through the gap into the vert stab.
What about rudder deflection, does the wire not pull tight, or is this just the way it is?
Thanks,
Steel.

Don't have a pic but it's pretty easy. I use a single conductor shielded wire. Center conductor is 12V and pigtail the shield for the ground. Route the wire straight down from the beacon, close to the post, and install grommets when passing through the 'ribs'. Just route it out of the fabric at the lower, left hand side, where the nav light wire is. I like to leave enough wire to make my connections inside the fuselage. I suppose it will flex the wire enough to break eventually but I have not seen many problems there.

Web

The few J-3s with nav lights from the factory had a teeny steel fairlead screwed to the top back of the fin, extending into a hole in the rudder. The wire came down into a hole in the top of the rear tube of the fin, then out and forward near the bottom. I replaced my wire in 1969, but did not need to. I had a lot of Teflon- sheathed wire to use up at the time.

My Whelen LED beacon is incredibly bright, almost borderline obnoxious while flying around at night. The baseplate was large but fit the mounting bracket that was installed with the previous 'incandescent' Whelen beacon it replaced.
Merrill Field Instruments has a non-TSO and TSO Whelen beacons mounted on a display. The TSO model is a little taller but much brighter and their price beats the catalog retailers. I like it.

Merrill Field Instruments has a non-TSO and TSO Whelen beacons mounted on a display. The TSO model is a little taller but much brighter and their price beats the catalog retailers. I like it.

I found a good deal at Stoddard's and ended up with the Whelen wingtip nav/strobe, the tail beacon, LED landing lights and LED position for the tail (non-TSO'd = $27). The install was easy, the 3 in 1 wire that includes the sync cable to make it flash all pretty is pricey. Had it all wired and sync'd in with a Max Pulse during the annual. Been flying big and small airplanes around the most congested parts of the state and no longer believe in the 'big sky, little airplane theory.' It was the cheapest piece of mind I could buy.

Back