• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Starting out tips, suggestions and lessons learned?

TheSponz

Bit of background, I am a software engineer by trade, have decent carpentry and light welding metal working experience, same with electronics and electrical systems. I am pretty good at figuring things out on my own and have always wanted to build my own airplane. I have a few hours in the cockpit but don't have my license as of yet.

I am just starting my journey and am in the research phase of the project. I am going to buy the CD with the plans from wag aero. So background and that said, what are somethings you guys wish you had known before you started your planes? What are some questions I should be asking that might not be readily apparent?

Thanks all for the advice and time! Hope to see you around!

I wish I would have read the books "The Sportplane Builder" and "Sportplane Construction Techniques" by Tony Bingelis before I started. He does a good job of explaining the hows and whys of experimental amateur built as well as choosing a specific type of aircraft to build.

Welcome! I started a Pietenpol project five years ago that didn't go anywhere due to unrealistic expectations of free time. In my case, the time and money I would have spent building was redirected into the purchase of a certified Super Cub, and I think it was the right decision for me. I still have a strong desire to build something, but it's not in the cards right now.

I'm sure others will chime in with more encouragement and suggestions, but I would start by reading Bill Rusk's thread from the beginning: http://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?40889-Building-a-Javron-Cub

Bill also did an EAA seminar that might answer some of your questions: http://eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=1283380256001

If you share your general whereabouts, someone might be able to put you in touch with a local builder or EAA chapter.

Try to get some hands-on experience with the various tasks that will be required. EAA SportAir workshops are a good way to do that.
https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation...tair-workshops/eaa-sportair-workshop-schedule

The fundamental question is: do I want to spend many tens of thousands of dollars and 2-3000 hours of work to build a plane or do I want to spend that time and money flying a plane?

It almost always costs more time and money than you think to build one. Don't kid yourself about how much effort it takes to build something like Bill Rusk produced. And I imagine if he didn't have the benefit of hundreds of hours from volunteers to help him along the way, he wouldn't be anywhere near finished.

It isn't easy or cheap.

If you want flaps and a Supercub, buy the Northland CD. If you want a J3, buy the wag plans. I have both, but unless you want to spend lots of time looking both over to decide what you want, I would advise you to pick one, build only from that and don't look back. There is considerable difference between the two, not much carries well from one to the other.
I am a scatchbuilder. In June it will be three years. I have all of my wing parts built and am ready to put my wings together. I am middle aged, married with four kids and have a full time job. Someone with fewer commitments and who is not easily distracted could build much quicker. I also have something that flies other than our project.
If building from scratch, be willing and able to make it one of your passions. It will consume considerable time and money. You have to be patient, willing to fail, learn new things, and be satisfied with small victories. It also helps to be what others may call insane. My wife is an enabler, and is quite forgiving of my affliction. I involve my kids as much as I can. Making things with our hands from nothing is one of the things we do for fun.
You have to decide how much time more than anything you are willing to spend before you fly it. The money end of it will be hard to justify. I prefer to bleed my bank account slowly over time.
We've made the right choice, one day it will fly, but not this year, and likely not for quite a few more.

Hopefully this helps with your decision.

Enjoy the ride!

Jim

I started built my Cub from scratch in China September,2014.I have a full time job and wife/kids,now,I can see that's not a easy work,you thinking,working,blooding,even tearing.But I can say it is a thing worth to do in my life.Very small step would make you happy.

Scratch building is not for the faint of heart! The commitment is huge but very rewarding as it comes together. I'm a first time builder; building a Wag 2+2/PA-14. My Fuselage is finally ready to paint and I have about 1500 hours in it so far. Cost to build fuselage was only about $2K including the tail feathers and landing gear. Wings are ready to cover (less fuel tanks) and they took me about 1400 hours (all wood including wood flaps and ailerons). Cost was about $2k also. Tail feathers ready to cover, rudder covered. I have two engines; a mid time O290D2 and a fresh overhauled O290D2 also. Both engines and prop for about $10k. I have radios, transponder, most instruments, etc. Covering and paint will cost about $5k. I expect to need another 500-1000 hours to finish so it will be in the 4000-5000 hour range. Cost is much lower than many builders because I built everything I could. I will be under $30k when finished. How long? I started 10 years ago. That includes moving twice, setting up three different shops, putting an addition on a house (unrelated to the build) 5 grand kids and retirement. Life will weave through a scratch build like any project so be prepared for a huge commitment and many delays. Great thing about building a Cub type plane is you can pick and choose how much you want to build vs purchase. I have every step from day one posted on my web site if you want to get an idea of what it takes to scratch build.

Marty57

cheaper, faster, to just BUY a flying ONE! don't do it to cut these

Yes that is very true, however there is just something about something you make that you know ever nut, bolt, joint, wire, and fitting in. Then again I might just be crazy!

Marty57 thanks, I will be going through that website with a fine toothed comb!

Time, commitment and dollars are the big deciders.

A friend built a scratch-built Christavia. His wing spars and ribs are wood. He didn't buy spruce from a supplier he bought a spruce tree and milled all of the parts himself. He did all of his own welding too. It took him twelve years and he doesn't know how many hours. He's working on a Bearhawk now.

I bought a CC EX kit and it took me just under 800 hours over 11 months. Some kits go together faster than others.

Research like you're doing here is time well spent.

Building an airplane is very satisfying however it cannot be understated what a personal time commitment building an airplane is. If you are OK with taking 6 to 10 years to build an airplane then do it. The talent of the plans/scratch builders here is amazing and those individuals have persevered to complete very impressive airplanes, however these are not typical results - they are the exception in opinion. I would recommend you try assembling an experimental airplane before building one from plans. This approach alone will take you 4 to 6 years if you are lucky . I would expect you will have the same personal gratification.
You landed here at Supercub.org because you want to build a tail dragger? The Super Cub is a unique airplane to build as an experimental because you can purchase any part you choose not to fabricate. The entire airplane can be purchased piece by piece from variety of different suppliers. This very fact makes it one of the easiest airplanes to build but it doesn't change the amount of time it takes. I scratch built my Super Cub replica working up to 5 days a week over a 4 year period. Soldier on future builder.

. The entire airplane can be purchased piece by piece from variety of different suppliers. This very fact makes it one of the easiest airplanes to build but it doesn't change the amount of time it takes. I scratch built my Super Cub replica working up to 5 days a week over a 4 year period. Soldier on future builder.

I am seeing that, this is even better, I have been a part of building houses before, Ive done some large scale construction projects. I am loving the kits you can get.

I love taildraggers, I am a bit of a traditionalist. I have time on an AT6 (I got the pics to prove it) and a 172, after the AT6 trikes were just never the same.

Back