• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

TCOW/Javron landing gear

skywagon8a

SE Mass MA6
This may just be my landing gear or it may involve a lot of you. My TCOW Cub kit serial #39 was built by Javron in 2008. As most of you know I've been flying it on floats since 2012. I'm just getting around to fitting the the wheels and brakes to the gear legs as part of my wheel ski project. They are Grove 66-152 wheels & Brakes. The welded plate on the landing gear which the torque plate assembly bolts to is in the wrong location. It is at least 1/8" too far inboard which restricts the travel of the inboard brake pucks. They can not even touch the disc due to the location of the bushings on the torque plate. The sleeve which spaces the wheel on the axle is the correct length for the wheel position as the retaining axle nut is correct when tightened. In order for both of the pucks to squeeze the disc correctly it will be necessary to install a minimum of a 1/8" spacer between the torque plate and the welded on mounting plate on the gear. In order for a disc brake to operate correctly the pucks must clamp evenly on both sides of the disc. The way this one was built it will only press on one side of the disc when the caliper assembly is bottomed on the torque plate bushings.

Another thing. The torque plate assembly came with two reducer bushings for the 5/16" bolts. There are four mounting bolts so why are there only two bushings?

Jay has different sleeves for different types of brakes maybe you have the wrong ones or is your torque plate on the right way. I could not find the specs on yours but this one is to be 1.680

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    198.3 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Mine is the heavy duty double puck version your drawing is for a lower load rating. The 2.43 dimension is the same on both. The 0.79 dimension on yours is 0.98 on mine. The torque plate bushings on mine appear to be longer than the ones on the drawing. Perhaps the wrong torque plates are in my kit? I'll just make a spacer.
Thanks for your input.

Another thing. The torque plate assembly came with two reducer bushings for the 5/16" bolts. There are four mounting bolts so why are there only two bushings?

Pete, think about your Cessna axles and brake torque plates. They mount with 4 bolts. Two small. Two large. Maybe Grove supplies two bushings just like Cleveland and just like ABI (Alaska BushWheels wheels) supply

That may be it Dave, I just assumed that since they came with a Cub kit that they would match to four same sized holes in the welded on plate. I'll call Grove on Monday.

Grove says that there should be four bushings and that whoever ordered the kit should have specified four bushings.

If the torque plate is reversed from the drawings the pins will just barely fit in the bushings. This doesn't look right. So I'll make spacers out of some .190" 2024-T3.

Back