• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Just bought a PA-12. Not really a project.

Anchorage, AK
Headed down to LAX to pick up the PA-12 I just bought! Sold my 180 last year and got a bug for a cub again. Going to try and make it back to the Northwest tomorrow. I suppose I should change my avatar.

Not really a project but at some point I would like to add Super Cub gear and a skylight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 186
Nice bird! hope the weather holds for you, long trip for one day.

At 6' 3" 240 should I be looking at PA 12, PA 18 or 170/180?

Depending upon your build, an 18 might be a little tight, but with a couple little changes to the seat you will fit just fine.

All depends on the mission. the 12 is bigger and faster; the cessna's are faster and aluminum. Light 2 seat tandem cubs fly like nothing else.

I agree with George. You fly most airplanes. But after some time playing around you wear a Cub

Glenn

Ease of entry would clearly favor the 180, then the 170, then an -18, and the -12 would bat last (my opinion). Comfort in the cabin is subjective. Some guys like a narrow cabin, some like more shoulder room, some like side-by-side seating. What "she" likes will matter, too. My other half prefers the Cessna but is okay with a Cub if it has lots of window. Seeing forward and down is important to her. Go try them on. If you live where there's winter try it in winter clothes, too.

They're all fun to fly.

I'm 6ft 1in, 175 lbs with long legs and agree the 180 is the best. The 12 isn't bad either-----I put my right foot in the outside step and feed my left in and place left foot on the floor left of the stick in one motion. Now that I've done it a few times it's not much harder than the 180. I don't wear clunky boots though.

I know a couple of 6'4" guys that are at the Cub breaking point, but love my 12, front or back seat. I have exactly 3 t/o and 3 landings in a Cub. Had to take both seat cushions out and take off my boots. My left elbow hit the rear throttle and my right wanted to open the door. I might add that I am 6'8" and can fly my 12 in comfort with a fixed seat until my bladder is full or my tanks empty. 12,12,12,12....

Nice going Charlie! Where are you planning to hangar it?

That's a massive prop--- at least it looks like it in the picture. Which engine?

I am 6'1" and really happy with the 12! I have quite a bit of 18 and 180 time but am most comfortable in the 12. It was the first airplane I bought so I've come full circle.

6'3" 265 lbs but I have the pa-18 seat and we moved it aft a couple more inches.

charlie, if you get stuck in the valley im around the CVO airport most of the time. 541-231-5426 text preferred.

Nice going Charlie! Where are you planning to hangar it?

That's a massive prop--- at least it looks like it in the picture. Which engine?

Hi Andy!
I am hangaring it at Paine Field (KPAE) for the time being. To be honest I have no idea how long the prop is. It and the engine have about 150 hours on them. The engines an O320 with new Lycoming cylinders done up by Lycon.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 137
Our friend Ingo (Corvus Migrans) took one look at my fat ass and suggested a PA-12. My -12 is more like a wide-body -18 and I'm happy with the performance and roominess.

Well, I have a tough time fitting in King Air 350i I fly for work. At 6' 2" it's my long legs. I taught in my J-3 half a life ago. Also had a 73' VW Super Bug in college. Have no idea how I fit in either, but I did it. Just had brief experience with J-5 and wasn't easy getting in front seat. Love Cub's, but what's right long term is the million $$$$$ question. 180 seems like over kill. 170 if I could find nice B, but love Cubs.

Hey Charlie, nice plane hope you had a good tip north in it. Are you going to run it up to AK this summer? I'm hoping to finish my -12 frame and cover it before summer but you know the deal from when the fish start running until the moose are in the freezer all airplane work stops,lol. All the glass in your plane is starting to look like a mini 76. Talk to you! Tom

Well I got stuck in Redding, CA the weather closed down on I-5 just north of here. I decided to land at Benton which is the smaller field here. I can't say enough good things about Jim Ostrich the owner of Benton Air Center! I asked them about tie downs for the night on the radio. He took a look at my airplane and said hey is that a fabric covered airplane? I told him yes. He said it's going to rain do you want to put it in the hangar for the night? I got it into the hangar and he handed me the keys to a beater pickup truck and directed me to a decent hotel with a nice bar next door. Jim's a real standup guy and has a nice operation!

.... Sold my 180 last year ....

I met the guy you sold it to (Dave from P.A.), he flipped it in pretty short order. And now I see the guy he sold it to has got it listed for sale on Barnstormers again. Same sort of thing happened to the 170 I sold in 2008. Funny how that goes, and kind of a bummer-- every time it's sold and flipped the price has to go up, which leads to the market price on all of them getting run up. That makes it kinda hard for an average guy to find a decent deal when he wants to buy one to actually keep it and fly it.

I met the guy you sold it to (Dave from P.A.), he flipped it in pretty short order. And now I see the guy he sold it to has got it listed for sale on Barnstormers again. Same sort of thing happened to the 170 I sold in 2008. Funny how that goes, and kind of a bummer-- every time it's sold and flipped the price has to go up, which leads to the market price on all of them getting run up. That makes it kinda hard for an average guy to find a decent deal when he wants to buy one to actually keep it and fly it.

Yeah he swore he was going to keep it forever. Didn't put much stock in that statement.....

If you're still stuck Redding, Jack's is a pretty good steak house. Old, dark and crowded, but good steaks.
We have an office in Anderson. If you need anything while you're stuck, let me know.
Carey

Gee nobody told you to stay with the plane until the weather lifted and swore you only had a 15 hour duty day and could easily make it the rest of the way,lol. I miss flying with you Charlie but really like being retired. Enjoy the rest of your trip, keep us posted, Tom

Thanks guys! I am going to jump seat home and come back on Tuesday when the weather is supposed to be good.
Redding is cool but I see enough of hotel rooms at my job!

IMG_0084.jpg

I bought mine in September! It's a pretty roomy fit for my 5'11" 245# Frame. I carry most of that in my chest and shoulders. My head does *just* rub the liner - that's coming out soon. I'd love to put a skylight in...

Attachments

• IMG_0084.jpg
    IMG_0084.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 141
View attachment 24595

I bought mine in September! It's a pretty roomy fit for my 5'11" 245# Frame. I carry most of that in my chest and shoulders. My head does *just* rub the liner - that's coming out soon. I'd love to put a skylight in...

It'll be a little easier then mine adding the skylight. You have the later style windscreen. Slightly less welding.

Yeah he swore he was going to keep it forever. Didn't put much stock in that statement.....

Some people just can't help fibbing. The guy who bought my 170 told me he'd always wanted one, had big plans for it, etc. But the ferry pilot who showed up to take it back to SLC told me he's ferried a number of airplanes for this guy-- all were resold, one was even resold while he was ferrying it so he had to divert to the buyer's location mid-flight.

Back