• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

206 vs 182 ground handling

behindpropellers

NE Ohio
Folks,

If you have flown a 182 and a 206 can you please let me know how much force it takes to turn a 206 vs a 182 on the ground? Seems like the 206 is much harder to steer on the ground. I'm wondering if this is normal or something I need to look at?

Thanks,

Tim

206 is bigger, but I never noticed it being any harder to steer. Only have about 20 or so hours in 206 though..

sj

Depends on the loading in the airplane. Both are heavy on the nose gear when empty. In my experience, though the 206 handles just fine on the ground. Use the elevator and a bit of power to help tight turns, but.....no worse than most tri gear planes.

MTV

the 210 is the only Cessna I have flown that was heavy on the nose to taxi. I remember the 206 and 182 being great on the ground.

I think the 206 is a little heavier on the pedals when taxiing. Not enough yhat I ever thought about until now though.

If the 206 has ever been on floats you need to make sure you have the landplane nose steering bungee installed. If you have the seaplane bungee installed with wheels the thing won't steer with a crap, feels like the rudder pedals are barely connected to the nose steering.

If the 206 has ever been on floats you need to make sure you have the landplane nose steering bungee installed. If you have the seaplane bungee installed with wheels the thing won't steer with a crap, feels like the rudder pedals are barely connected to the nose steering.

I don't think it will steer at all with float bungee, in it.
I have about 2000 in float and land 206.
They have a lot of nose wheel weight.
I am sure if you are not used to flying heavier aircraft than 172, you would think something is wrong when it is perfectly fine. ;-)

Tire size maybe, I had an 8:50's all the way around on a 182 once, it was harder to turn

If you have any weight in the tail, or was parked with a tail load, you might be in the situation with the front strut fully extended, which means that the steering link is not engaged. In that scenario, steering is awful on the 206.

Stab the brakes and compress the nose, now she will steer fine.

Thanks for the replies. Regardless of loading it is tough to steer. Tough as in I brace myself on the seat to push on the peddles on the ground. I'll probably get the nosewheel off of the ground during annual and see if there is anything binding with no load on it.

Tim

Thanks for the replies. Regardless of loading it is tough to steer. Tough as in I brace myself on the seat to push on the peddles on the ground. I'll probably get the nosewheel off of the ground during annual and see if there is anything binding with no load on it.

Tim
How far is the nose strut extended? When there is too much nitrogen in the strut and the strut is extended too far it will be a pain in the ass to maneuver on the ground. Let just a tiny amount of nitrogen escape, and I mean depress the Shrader valve for just one second, and you will notice an improvement. If you've let out too much nitrogen you will hear and feel the nose strut bottoming out when you taxi over rough surfaces.

Don't do this, measure the pressure like you are supposed to and see if it is right.

Back