• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Anyone have photos of Blown Exhaust Gaskets or cracked exhaust pipes

Alex Clark

Life Long Alaskan
I thought I had some old burned out gaskets out in my shop as demo examples, but they appear to have been tossed in the trash during a recent cleaning frenzy.

Anyone have any pics I can used for an exhaust leak magazine article?

Alex

attachment.php
RH collector off early C180

Attachments

• exhaust RH collector before.JPG
    exhaust RH collector before.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 627
Nice!!

That will go with my photo of a C-180 muffler where all the guts ( baffles) are missing

Well now it will not post here... My computer really stinks....

we had a pair winked like that after the 185 got stuck on the beach... you also could lay your THUMB in the missing chunk of the prop about 14" from spinner :) from a rock as he got unstuck.... just file it out... sure...

never did get those new collectors installed, they arrived, but 6 days after new prop was installed plane got flipped in Amber bay and the tide got it... (which also was 11 days away from totaling our other 185 $$$$)

fun days... insurance company was not impressed, neither was the FAA, Washington called Anchorage boys...)

attachment.php
RH collector off early C180

#2 Exhaust Gasket Leak
attachment.php

attachment.php

Leading Edge Muffler Crack caused by the misadjusted tail pipe vibrating against the firewall.
attachment.php

Attachments

• P1160337.jpg
    P1160337.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 645
  • P1160363.JPG
    P1160363.JPG
    304.8 KB · Views: 616
  • P1150241.JPG
    P1150241.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 637
Last edited:
back to the main topic, the WORST thing you can do is over tighten exhaust nuts... it warps the flanges... take them to the belt sander to flatten them again

back to the main topic, the WORST thing you can do is over tighten exhaust nuts... it warps the flanges... take them to the belt sander to flatten them again

I just happen to have a pipe with this exact problem, been trying to figure the best way to fix it.

Thanks!!!!

Here is a photo I have of a C-180 with a real exhaust leak past the gasket.
Also this muffler has NOTHING inside.... All the guts rusted out...

Attachments

• PC040044 (1280x1152).jpg
    PC040044 (1280x1152).jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 142
Leading Edge Muffler Crack caused by the misadjusted tail pipe vibrating against the firewall.

Is your leading edge exhaust system on a PA18 or PA20/22?....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PA-18, added doublers to a replacement muffler & readjusted system, not vibrating against the firewall or anything else, now has 200+ hrs with no new issues. Dane Wagner at Leading Edge also has reinforced this area on later mufflers but with a different shaped doubler.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Leading Edge Doubler Design
attachment.php

Attachments

• P1150392.jpg
    P1150392.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 458
  • P1150396.jpg
    P1150396.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 454
  • LEE Doubler Design.jpg
    LEE Doubler Design.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 739
Ah... I have to change the stack angle on my new install...PA20. Stack is into the motor mount 3/4" when tightening all fasteners evenly...zero binding or forcing the set up to clear the motor mount...which I feel will cause cracks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

also don't always assume soot/its just a leaky gasket, sometimes its a CRACK in cylinder head you can see between fins(lycoming)... and sometimes it extends all the way to a valve seat and lets if fall out/break/ruin engine...

the oil spray on the cowling and the exhaust port would for me not indicate an exhaust gasket leak. (first two Pictures).

#2 Exhaust Gasket Leak
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Replaced exhaust gasket which also ended the black spray. I always look at the doors - black spray = exhaust, clean oil spray = engine oil, most likely valve cover gasket.

Back