• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Drippy Gascolator on C180K

OLDCROWE

FRIEND
Meanwhile,...
Been chasing an annoying drip for a bit, don't need a bucket but it will satin a cardboard drip mat pretty good. We cleaned the bowl at annual 6 weeks ago and that stopped it for a bit but it still drips occasionally. I can usually stop it by draining a bit of fuel but it keeps creeping back in. I'm pretty sure it is the stock collator (has IO-520D by Airplanes Conversion) and besides suggestions my questions are is there a rebuild kit or seat that is changeable or adjustable spring tension on the plunger?

Thanks,

Kirby

Been chasing an annoying drip for a bit, don't need a bucket but it will satin a cardboard drip mat pretty good. We cleaned the bowl at annual 6 weeks ago and that stopped it for a bit but it still drips occasionally. I can usually stop it by draining a bit of fuel but it keeps creeping back in. I'm pretty sure it is the stock collator (has IO-520D by Airplanes Conversion) and besides suggestions my questions are is there a rebuild kit or seat that is changeable or adjustable spring tension on the plunger?

Thanks,

Kirby

Steve's?

More than likely it is a bad tip on the plunger rod.... Personally, the late model Cessna gascolators are good units and I have talked more than a few people out of replacing it with one of mine unless it is completely corroded out.... Most of the time you can just get a fuel plunger kit from McFarlane and it will be good for years before the plunger tip starts going bad again.

Here is a link to the McFarlane kit.
http://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/Products/?CategoryID=362&ID=67099193&PartNumber=FS-KT-12&

It is $140.23... My replacement gascolator is our model SA3-10-D remote drain bowl unit and it cost $340.00... BUT, to install my gascolator you have to use an adapter bracket that is an additional $15.00... Our SA3-10 gascolator can be used as an alternate for $305.00 but it does not have a remote drain capability... Still have to use the $15.00 bracket... Our gascolator for the late model Cessna are not a direct replacement unit so installation can run a little longer than the earlier Cessna's and Piper's.

So, my recommendation is to buy the McFarlane kit... Remove your stock unit... Clean and install the kit then re-install...

Brian.

I have had the same experience with the tip as Brian. Save the old one, they make great bushing drivers after you remove the rubber.

Many thanks, this is now the second most annoying airplane issue I'm now got on the job board...

had one of my old customers loose his 185 to a fire, tring to fiddle with a drippy one, he dropped wrench, poof.... the tail & stinger was left....

FWIW the previous owned installed a Steve's gascolator on my 53 180 and it works great. Easy to check screen at annual time, screw-on barrel so no goofy bail, plus it looks cool too!

When you pull on the rubber tipped plungers and they are frozen to the bottom of the bowl in ice, you have problems. Warm them up first...

All fixed, put the full kit from McFarlane in and from my observation stool it wasn't all that easy trying to get the O-ring out and the new one back in by feel so we finally, just pulled it full loose so we could turn it and see...

And while we we had the cowl off we replaced the drippy old (three rebuild stamps) boat anchor starter with a new skytech and all I can say is wow that dude sure spins a big engine over fast, no counting the blades anymore!

Again many thanks for the help.

Kirby

Last edited:
All fixed, put the full kit from McFarlane in and from my observation stool it wasn't all that easy trying to get the O-ring out and the new one back in by feel so we finally, just pulled it full loose so we could turn it and see...

And while we we had the cowl off we replaced the drippy old (three rebuild stamps) boat anchor starter with a new skytech and all I can say is wow that dude sure spins a big engine over fast, no counting the blades anymore!

Again many thanks for the help.

Kirby

This is great news Kirby!!

Ready just in time for your Daughter to borrow it over Christmas?

Pro Tip (pun intended):

...when reinstalling the standpipe on New style Cessna gascolators as described above, ensure that the plunger is retracted (pulled,ala "drain mode") as you thread on and tighten the standpipe. This precludes the little tip from being cut as the "seat" portion of the standpipe contacts the tip/tit/nipple.

Back