• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Garmin GPS-20A for ADS-B Out Capability

Jasperfield

NC
The GPS-20A appears to be a not-too-expensive solution for ADS-B out. It is usually integrated with a G3X setup but will work, and can be purchased and installed, as a remote-mounted stand-alone installation without any other G3X components. You will need an antenna for it and need to run power & ground wires, and a data cable to a suitable transponder (like a Trig TT22 or similar). This setup will make you compliant for flight into Class airspace. The GPS-20A is for experimental AC use only.

To receive the non-mandated, not-required benefits of ADS-B such as weather, traffic, etc., you will need additional devices

Have any of you used this setuo or are planning to do so?

I just read the GPS-20A overview on the Garmin website. It emphasizes connecting it to a compatible transponder and G3X. If you don't have a G3X you still need an indicator on the panel to prove it is working properly -- so that is another expense. It connects to a transponder and G3X with an R232 serial port so make sure your transponder will talk to it. Still it might be a reasonable ADS-B Out solution -- just takes more research.
I have decided to go down the Appareo Stratus path. I already have the Stratus 2S ADS-B IN box that connects via WiFi to my iPad Mini running Foreflight Pro Syn. The next and last step is to buy an Appareo Stratus ESG Transponder for ADS-B OUT. It replaces the current transponder, comes with a GPS antenna, connects to the current transponder "L" band antenna and uses the iPad as the indicator panel. Appareo just started taking orders for the $3,500 ESG for January (Experimental) and April (Certified) delivery. It connects via a USB Type C cable to the Stratus 2S feeding both power and GPS signals to the 2S. So once I have the ESG transponder, I can hide the 2S under the panel out of sight.
I have a 10-15 yr old Trans-Cal SSD120-30A encoder which is connected via a parallel port to the transponder -- 10 altitude wires plus power and ground. I am going to replace it with a $350 Trans-Cal SSD120-30N-RS232. The new encoder is smaller, lighter and connects to the ESG Transponder through an RS232 serial port, 5 wires total I think.
So Jasperfield has one path and I a second -- anyone else study the hardware out there come to the same or different conclusion?

Back