• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cessna A185F Fuel vent problem

ron

Wanaka,NZ
Problem:Replaced both fuel tanks.Replaced in line vent valve on right wing due to breaking spring on removal.Test flight revealed uneven fuel in tanks after one hour flight.Vacuum in right tank on removal of fuel cap.Relaced both fuel caps and as before one can blow thru both underwing fuel vents.Transposed vent valves ie left to right and right to left.Problem is now transferred to left side.That is a vacuum in left tank.Both vents relieve when blowing thru from outside.Why when we replace two new correct part numbered fuel caps do they appear not to vent?
2.Will replacing other part worn vent valve sort the problem out?????
A very expensive excercisea that MUST be corrected.Thanks guys.Ron.

Verify that the vent hinge (in the 0716125 valve) is in the correct orientation... You can see the hinge line with a mirror on a long handle by removing the fuel cap adapter cover. You may want to verify that the tank bladders are still attached correctly to the top and bottom skins after the negative pressure events. If the bladder clips are disengaged the bladders can bulge up or fall down and cause multiple serious problems.

Vickie

Thanks Vickie for your good input.Have checked all of the above,and all checks out.The position of the external vent tubes has been rechecked also.The most learned engineer on cessnas I can find says that old vent valves do not seat properly?I still cannot understand why two new caps(vented) are not doing their job.Guess I wifi bite the bullet and replace the left vent valve!

Back