• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

C90 with converted GPU crank

Dan Gervae

FRIEND
Upper Peninsula of Michigan
What's the consensus on a C90 rebuilt with a brand new GPU crank with the male studs pressed out and female prop inserts put in and a new centering cone....ok for experimental? Any concerns from you experts?

Has it been magnafluxed, balanced, and nitrided? Also check the radii at the edge of the rod and main journals. If they are less than 3/32" radius, then it's likely to eventually break at that point (smaller radius creates a stress riser). Are there some of those cranks flying? Yes. I know of at least one. If I was going to fly behind it, those are the 4 things I would insist be completed.

Your local auto machine shop can do an adequate magnaflux inspection, and if they have a reasonably knowledgeable machinist, they can balance it for you as well. Inspect the journals for the correct radius. Send it to an aviation crank shop to have the Nitriding performed (and the balance as well if your local auto machine shop isn't up to it). Then enjoy flying it. Nitriding may be optional as the early A65 - C-85 cranks were not nitrided. I think all of the C-90 and O-200 cranks were nitrided, but there may have been some early ones I'm not aware of that weren't. Someone on here will probably know the answer to that.

Seems to me the GPU crank also has one offset drive stud on the flange, so you may have to drill a prop specially for that crank if that's the case, but some of the aftermarket wood props are relatively inexpensive.

-Cub Builder

Looks like there's an STC
Flange is modified by installing female prop inserts and a standard centering cone. The one I looked at is a brand new crank installed in a C90 . Looks just like the stock one to me....I missed this info when I searched the forums before....interesting

Supplemental Type Certificate

STC Number:
SE2734CE

This certificate issued to:
Air Sports Inc

STC Holder's Address:
Rt. 2 Box 132
MarshfieldMO65706
United States

Description of the Type Design Change:
Continental P/N 530182, crankshaft is being replaced with crankshaft P/N AS530182 obtained by modification of Continental PC-60(Packette) engine crankshaft.

Application Date:

Issued, 06/28/1991

Responsible Office:
Wichita Aircraft Certification Office (ACE-115W), Tel: (316) 946-4100

TC Number -- Make -- Model:
E-252 -- Teledyne Continental Motors -- C90 Series
E-252 -- Teledyne Continental Motors -- O-200-A

Full Text of STC:

Comments

Last edited:
Back