• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Crash rebuild

pittsdriver

I'm just starting on a Cub rebuild. Unloaded the wreck last week and have been stripping it down and saving anything useful. This is going to be one hell of a Supercub when finished. Ordered a new Airframes Alaske 4" wide fuselage with all the options and a set of Dakota Cub extended wings with slats. Talking about putting a MT C/S prop on it. Tried to talk him into going experimental but keeping it certified. Should be a fun build and I'll ry and remember to take pictures along the way. Don

Attachments

• Cub one.jpg
    Cub one.jpg
    736.4 KB · Views: 579
  • cub two.jpg
    cub two.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 569
Something like the one I saw last Saturday morning? Pretty impressive off the water!

IMG_9313.jpg

Was worried it was the Green Hornet flown by Elaine in New Holstein this year. Had to look at pics I took to make sure it wasn't the same tail number, it isn't for anyone else thinking the same thing.

Congratulations, and good luck. Keep the build pics coming.

I see you have built two Experimental kits. Will be interested to hear your thoughts on rebuilding an old airplane vs. building new from a kit when you are done. You are cheating though with a nice new fuselage and set of wings. ;)

Steve, This will be more like lifting the data plate off this one and putting it on the new one. Only big parts I'm using is the tail surfaces and the rest is all the hardware, controls and brakes. The Backcountry Supercub I built is an exact copy of the stock one so I'm real familiar with it. Now I have to deal with STCs, field approvals and a pile of paperwork. Don

Now that I'm an A&P I'm learning how to fill out all this crap. I have a couple of good IA's that are helping me keep on the straight and narrow.

Got the Airframes Alaska fuselage this week and started adding parts. Should have lots of parts next week so things should progress fairly quickly. The workmanship on the fuselage is first class. Here is a pic of the old and new.

Attachments

• cub fuselages.jpg
    cub fuselages.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 666
Cool, there sending out a free jig with every frame. Now everyone will have there own.

Last edited:
Adam

Weight everything PLEASE. Lets see what the differences are. I have the weights from mine. It would be interesting to know the differences. Thank you

Bill

Been awhile but things are progressing well. All of the cockpit controls , Kydex interior panels, floorboards etc. are done and installed. Hung and rigged the wings last week and built all the control cables. I got the fuel tanks installed a couple weeks ago so I'm just about ready to cover. The stack of STCs and field approvals keeps growing. Got the Pro Pilot MT two blade prop STC the got the three blade field approved. Engine is going together at Lycon so should have it in a couple of weeks. One observation is the Airframes Alaska fuselage and Dakota Cub wings are very nice and a lot nicer that the stock Piper stuff but they are nowhere near as nice as the fuselage and wings that Javron puts out. Don

Attachments

• Cub 1.jpg
    Cub 1.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 336
  • Cub 2.jpg
    Cub 2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 316
  • Cub 3.jpg
    Cub 3.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 313
  • Cub 4.jpg
    Cub 4.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 307
  • Cub 5.jpg
    Cub 5.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 335
You might consider the Wipline 2000 lb gross kit upgrade so you have some useful load. Looks like a 1300 lb Cub for sure....

Best wishes

Crash

Get all of your air frame wiring in place, now, while you can reach all the places it needs to be routed. Plan, ask questions, change your plans, and ask some more. Best advice I can give you on the wiring is to keep it as simple as possible and plan so as to keep all the wires as short as possible.

And listen to the guys above. They have about a hundred gazillion years of experience.

Web

Get all of your air frame wiring in place, now, while you can reach all the places it needs to be routed. Plan, ask questions, change your plans, and ask some more. Best advice I can give you on the wiring is to keep it as simple as possible and plan so as to keep all the wires as short as possible.

And listen to the guys above. They have about a hundred gazillion years of experience.

Web

Thanks for the good advice but this is not my first rodeo and I like simple wiring systems also. Actually about the 10th and 2nd Supercub. All the wiring is in the wings and all the rest is forward of the instrument panel. I do have the Wipaire 2000 lb GW STC, my Backcountry Cub is 2300 gross and 1250 empty. I agree it will probably be around 1250lbs but that's what the customer wants. Don

I would also hang the flaps while the wings are up. Make sure they clear inboard. wiring for Position light on tail, Plan access for Trim position wire fairlead that is right behind extended baggage for when that wire brakes. Mine broke and had to drill out bunch of pop rivets in lower baggage to remove panel to rerun wire, screws in panel would have saved a lot of work. Just things you may already do that will help.
DENNY

I would also hang the flaps while the wings are up. Make sure they clear inboard. wiring for Position light on tail, Plan access for Trim position wire fairlead that is right behind extended baggage for when that wire brakes. Mine broke and had to drill out bunch of pop rivets in lower baggage to remove panel to rerun wire, screws in panel would have saved a lot of work. Just things you may already do that will help.
DENNY

All that done and done. Wings are rigged, flaps and aileron cables made and rigged and stops set, pitot system in, all wing wiring done, ELT mounted with antennae, all elevator and rudder cables in and adjusted with all cotter keys done. Don

Project is rolling along. Fuselage is covered and taped and ready for the spray coats. Tail surfaces are covered, stitched and I'll finish taping them today. Should see the engine from Lycon next week so I can get the cowl fit and the fuselage over to the paint shop.

Attachments

• IMG_0490.JPG
    IMG_0490.JPG
    296 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_0491.JPG
    IMG_0491.JPG
    214.9 KB · Views: 216
Very nice Don. You are really moving along. It should be very nice. I hope to see it sometime.

Bill

Thanks Bill, It won't be as light as yours but with the engine, prop and slotted wing it should be a hell of a performer. We have so many high lift mods on it we'll have to tie a string to it to keep it from floating up to the roof in the hangar. Don

The trend for Supercubs these days are extended gear with big tires. We decided to develop a new high speed stealth lowrider gear. Here is the prototype. We have Catto making us a 6 blade 50" diameter prop that will turn up to 4000 rpm. Should work I think. Don

Attachments

• Low gear.jpg
    Low gear.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 204
Nice work. And quick work too. I'm selfishly hoping you post interior photos of your Kydex interior when done.

Great new gear too. If you weld a sharp blade across your gear axle, you can reduce the time to mow grass airstrips. Turn that into a "working" cub.

The trend for Supercubs these days are extended gear with big tires. We decided to develop a new high speed stealth lowrider gear. Here is the prototype. We have Catto making us a 6 blade 50" diameter prop that will turn up to 4000 rpm. Should work I think. Don

ComptonCub.

I was thinking he could modify a T3 tailwheel suspension with a hydraulic cylinder to make it hop.

Back to the real world. I have everything covered and taped except the wings. Fitting the firewall and boot cowl and we have the engine. Arie picked it up at Lycon last week and it looks great. I'm sure it will run as good as it looks. Don

Attachments

• IMG_0498 (1).JPG
    IMG_0498 (1).JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 194
  • cub engine 1.jpg
    cub engine 1.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 218
  • cub engine 2.jpg
    cub engine 2.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 212
Back