• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

My new Backcountry Super Cub Version 2

Aktahoe

Truckee, Alaska
It's not referred to as an SQ now. It's BCSC version 2.

Yesterday Ranch Pilot sent me some pictures of my completed kit ready for the actual build to start. Now it's time to bolt on the engine, cover and paint, change out the tires, put the outboard gear on (TK) , that's what the cross gear is now, through in the G3 panel and then fly her. If only it were so easy.:roll:

Anyhow, this thread will never even come close to Bill Rusks but I will try to keep it updated as we progress. Pics from yesterday.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Im sure this next one is his favorite

image.jpg

I would sure sure like to see your favorite paint scheme. This one is leading for me now. Still uncertain on colors but this is sharp and clean

image.jpg

AKT

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    540.1 KB · Views: 677
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    588.2 KB · Views: 563
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    630.9 KB · Views: 565
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    660.5 KB · Views: 749
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 590
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 531
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 605
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 615
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 668
Wow, what a nice project! I love the fuselage from what I see. Huge cargo door, no birdcage thing. Very interesting.

It's gonna be a real performer with the big a$s engine and Keller flaps.

Your are going with the outboard shocks like the Stortch, Pilatus or SuperStol?? Can't wait to see some pics.

Thanks for sharing

Should be a great prodject and plane. In reality the actual build is done. Not to take anything from your neet prodject but a builder starts with a pile of tubing.

That looks great! What leading edge are you using, Charlie Center's ? As far as paint scheme, pick what you like but I'd follow the lines of something factory-ish (as you seem to be doing). Although its the farthest thing from your mind, some day you may want to sell it for something different and that's when a "unique" paint job can come back to haunt you. Congratulations on a beautiful project.

RE: Photo #7-- get a sawhorse and a bucket, they tend to complain a lot less. :smile:

Ranch Pilot has some great specs on weights but the entire kit comes in under 650lbs., with fuel tanks and slats.

Some have a pile of tubing and a lot of time, and others don't have the time to have a pile of tubing.... Just need more pesos to get the project going. I do respect both.

But this project is something that we don't see often.

Let us see what TonyTk1 magik did on this airframe. I'm really curious....

The outboard shocks are going on this week. Here you can see the TK system as the cross brace suspension.

j7ffP5Jn-673JpcOOm2YYKb5O644eAzs4wUAuujluNo,NASTQrV5FnqrUadvMjtC2zxxtqriXfcnk9BECEYi0Fc.jpg
Nl39CidoDYV-MrUlcSoNcMLHvnSgqWD-reLYY1P_t5Q,4Fvi8Z1TQs3Jj47MhqhQOANVrqXmMSPte22OglN9VLU.jpg

Attachments

• j7ffP5Jn-673JpcOOm2YYKb5O644eAzs4wUAuujluNo,NASTQrV5FnqrUadvMjtC2zxxtqriXfcnk9BECEYi0Fc.jpg
    j7ffP5Jn-673JpcOOm2YYKb5O644eAzs4wUAuujluNo,NASTQrV5FnqrUadvMjtC2zxxtqriXfcnk9BECEYi0Fc.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 4,406
  • Nl39CidoDYV-MrUlcSoNcMLHvnSgqWD-reLYY1P_t5Q,4Fvi8Z1TQs3Jj47MhqhQOANVrqXmMSPte22OglN9VLU.jpg
    Nl39CidoDYV-MrUlcSoNcMLHvnSgqWD-reLYY1P_t5Q,4Fvi8Z1TQs3Jj47MhqhQOANVrqXmMSPte22OglN9VLU.jpg
    406.2 KB · Views: 4,488
Keep those pictures coming. The BC website is not current so these really help. Can you get Bruce to bring the site up to date?

Hoping to have some photos of the new outboard and tail shock here shortly. Been working on a paint scheme. Need some ideas. Have been scouring the Internet for photos. Like the simplicity of the good ol cub scheme like Bill Rusks but also like the bright orange of coyote ugly. Check these out. What do you think? God awful ugly or...

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    839.5 KB · Views: 276
Just remember two things. You don't want to self identify to the FAA, and Heaven forbid (but life happens)
you might have to sell. Your cool, awesome, weird, paint job could make it hard to find a buyer. Perhaps you can find something that is unique to you but not too "different".

Just my opinion

bill

Last edited:
I sure do like the simple schemes as well. Not much a fan for the bright colors but...Here are some others I really like.

Classic SQ Scheme
B&W Cub.jpg

Classic Cub. Clean! I really like yours Bill as well. Similar to this minus the red turtle deck
DSC00217_copy.jpg

Airframes sure has some nice ones
1479253_588443824556245_648677565_n.jpg
airframescub.jpeg

Seems like this is the traditional SQ scheme. Pretty clean
IMG_0139.jpg
IMG_0146.jpg
n10572.jpg

Kirstens scheme was cool as well
DSC_4476.jpg

Bills is sure nice!
Billruskjavaroncub.jpg

Clean lines, classic SQ
SQ2_main.jpg

I guess I putting the cart before the horse here but we are getting close to this so I am in serious search mode now. Not wanting anything wild or crazy just clean and classy. Guess I could could always go with some flames...Not really. I know like this one but it still needs some work

IMG_7469.JPG

Attachments

• B&W Cub.jpg
    B&W Cub.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 4,045
  • DSC00217_copy.jpg
    DSC00217_copy.jpg
    483.3 KB · Views: 4,123
  • airframescub.jpeg
    airframescub.jpeg
    248.9 KB · Views: 4,356
  • IMG_0139.jpg
    IMG_0139.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 4,079
  • IMG_0146.jpg
    IMG_0146.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 4,265
  • n10572.jpg
    n10572.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 4,177
  • DSC_4476.jpg
    DSC_4476.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4,290
  • 1479253_588443824556245_648677565_n.jpg
    1479253_588443824556245_648677565_n.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 4,136
  • Billruskjavaroncub.jpg
    Billruskjavaroncub.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 3,774
  • SQ2_main.jpg
    SQ2_main.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 3,876
  • IMG_7469.JPG
    IMG_7469.JPG
    485.9 KB · Views: 3,983
Also something to keep in mind.......repairs. It's going to happen at some point,and lots of stripes look nice, but are a pain in the butt to repair and match paint colors. My 2 cents.
Ron

The dark leading edge will make a HUGE difference when melting the frost off the wing. And it will frost up in June in the mountains like Idaho.

Bill

Mostly white planes are very hard to see, I have a buddy with a white cub, black leading edge in the winter almost impossible for me to keep track of him and in the summer not much better if he has clouds behind him. Cub yellow seems to be the easiest to spot but red wings and red trim on the body is not bad and a good overall camouflage color.
DENNY

FWIW, there seem to be a million Cubs out there wearing yellow. On a J-3, that seems appropriate, but still wouldn't be my first choice. But, on an amateur built....get a little creative. Nothing says it has to be a white background. Silver looks good, as well. Some broad stripes either span wise on the leading edges or chord wise of a contrasting color will improve visibility. Same with fuselage. As has been said, mostly white airplanes are nearly invisible in the air. So, I'd lean toward more color than some of those.

I agree that you want it kept simple, but I'm not too concerned about anonymity. Just don't be stupid, and that kinda takes care of itself.

Good luck, looks like a fun project.

MTV

There are but expensive. Photoshop is affordable and I happen to have it...:) Thanks for all the replies. Keep them coming!

Consider green and beige. It would be nice to have someone else in the line up down at the station.

saddlestrip_1.jpg

Jerry

Attachments

• saddlestrip_1.jpg
    saddlestrip_1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
By repairs, I don't mean you're going to wreck it. I have several fabric repairs on mine, from either having to replace parts, or holes from rocks, sticks, ect. I don't have a headliner, so I have poked the fabric from inside as well. Again just my opinion, but my new build is going to be all one color, with a stripe, down the side.

Back