• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Datums on a Bearhawk?

kestrel

PATRON
Southern NH
It seems that the only way I'm going to go ski flying is to put some skis on my plane. Since I'm based on a paved, plowed runway, straight skis aren't going to work well for me. In the wheel ski catagory, the Datums look like a good choice. The guy that makes them seems pretty adamant that a 2500lb gross airplane doesn't need any more flotation than his 2500 ski provides. Esp. since I will want to use them near gross weight, it seems bigger is better and I should get the 3000 series ski. Am I wrong?

...and where near NH can I get some mentoring on ski flying?

Not sure if this will be done for this season or next, but I've got to try.

Thanks!

The Datums are wide compared to the same weight Federal skis. I wouldn't be afraid to buy the 2500s. How much more area are the 3000s?

Glenn

Sorry, mis-read the question. If I take their numbers literally, the 3000's are about twice as big. If I make an assumption about a type-o error, they are about 25% larger.

I also agonized over whether I should buy the 3000 or the 2500 Datums but decided on the 2500's for my 2,400 lb PA-12.

I normally don't have to contend with deep snow here. The hard drifts can be more of a concern.

I also agonized over whether I should buy the 3000 or the 2500 Datums but decided on the 2500's for my 2,400 lb PA-12.

I normally don't have to contend with deep snow here. The hard drifts can be more of a concern.

One of my questions is, how often would I encounter snow where my Bearhawk will not work in 2500's, but will on 3000's. If it will "always" sink on 3000's anyway, then there is little useful difference. The guy that makes them is pretty confident that I'd be happy with the 2500's. Glenn suggests that they should be sufficient. They are nearly 20lbs lighter. I'm leaning that way.

However, the 3000's will take an 8.50 tire, which is what I'm running now. The 2500's require a 6.00 and so I'd have to swap tires when changing in and out of skis. Since I'm not enthusiastic about doing a lot of tire changing, for the 2500's, I'd probably find a 2nd set of wheels which would eat up the $$ savings of the 2500's.

....on the third hand, if I ever go to larger than the 8.50's, I'd have to change out tires/wheels anyway, and the 6.00's are about 12(?) lbs lighter than 8.50's, making the 3000's more like 30lbs heavier as a package.

I'm not going back to 6.00's for year round use. I couldn't even taxi around at the WAD on them!

You should only have to switch twice, skis on in the late fall and back to wheels in April.

True! ...but I have such a hard time finding time that the only reason I have a hope of getting skis on my plane is that a "Bearhawk builder" has offered to help me get it done! :)

I switch directly from wheel-skis to floats and back, so I just un-hook the cables and disconnect the electrical, removing the gear legs, skis and wheels as an assembly and I'm ready to put the floats on. October and June for me.

Kestrel if you want to try ski flying come to 6B6 on wheels and I will come get you and bring you to Crow Island. We can introduce you to ski flying in my cub.

Bill

Back