• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

O235c, o235c1, o235c1b

RHL

We have an early O235C (100hp.) that we are planning on using on an experimental L-21. We have been told that it is an identical engine to the O235C1 and O235 C1B (115hp.) with the exception of the camshaft and carb. Can we really get an additional 15hp. just by changing out the camshaft and carb or are we missing something here?Or...is this the stupidest idea you've ever heard?Comments and advice welcome!Engine has not been measured yet.

As long as your tearing the engine down, a while ago someone on here asked about using L2C pistons in a C1, a cost savings and a slight compression increase. I have been curious as to how that worked out. Jim

RHL,
Take a look at the type certificate for the engine.
http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/0a059b37ac25df6786257b63006b66b9/$FILE/E-223_Rev_21.pdf

Notice that regardless of what is inside, that in order to get the higher horsepower you need to turn the engine up to a higher 2800 rpm. If you up the compression ratio, you get a little more power and need to go to 100LL instead of the 80/87. This opens up the question of the use of auto fuel, can you or should you not?

If you turn the higher rpm you will have a flatter prop along with a cruise speed penalty. The option would be an Aeromatic prop.

The O-235C2C that was on the 7AC-CONV Champ I recently sold had two HP rating. 108 HP @ 2600RPM and 115 HP @ 2800RPM. From what I understood when I owned it were the different RPM's and maybe magnetos timing was changed in the various configurations.

My O-235C that I had on my Rebel originally... came off of a PA-12. It was 100 HP @ 2600 rpm. Mine had hydraulic lifter bodies in it...

Back