• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

exhaust ports dressing

larrym

Question: With 200 hrs since the engine -360 was dismantled and rebuilt (not an overhaul, and nothing done to the cylinders) 1000hrs TSN, and no leaks from the other cylinders but 5 gaskets in 100hrs with this one cylinder - would I be wise to grind/dress all exhaust ports, or only the know problem? The airplane is down till spring, so time is no big deal. I do use Rapco no blow gaskets, and the slip in exhaust stack has been dressed, but still blowing.

Thanks,
larry

one of the studs is pulling out,or both.you tighten it heats up and pulls out and goes past gasket.

I had a loosening exhaust stud. Finally pulled the cylinder, to find a crack from the threaded hole to the exhaust valve seat.

one of the studs is pulling out,or both.you tighten it heats up and pulls out and goes past gasket.

Thanks, that would really make sense. The studs were surprisingly easy to remove when I took them off it preparation to decide to grind the port or pull the cylinder. Having said that, the exhaust was very tight when cold, and also tight after flight.......Would you think that it was a poor installation on the cylinder, or might the threads be ruined, or worse a crack?
Would you favor dressing/grinder or cylinder removal for a better look?

The "messed up" area was caused by myself when I tried to "clean it up" without removing the studs a while ago.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    824.4 KB · Views: 148
this looks good if its flat or level. do not grind yet,get someone that knows how to put heleycoils in (spelling) do both of them, try again.what does pipe look like? what do you mean by blown gasket?leaking by or blown out .have never seen a blown out no blow.try a lyc. gasket.

What does the flange on the pipe look like? Is it as good as the cylinder, flat, true? jrh

Some observations from afar while viewing your photo and the discussion.

It does not appear to be cracked. I know, loaded statement. Inspect the condition of the threads in the head. Sometimes the installation of oversize studs will solve the loose problem. They are available. If the threads in the head are too far gone, the hole can have a heli-coil installed which will salvage the cylinder. The surface doesn't look that bad. Is the flange on the exhaust stack flat? The tab tends to bend towards the cylinder which prevents the sealing surface from making a good seal. This is common on two stud Lycomings. Four stud Continentals not so much. Heat the tab/flange with a torch and tap it back. Sand it flat on a surface plate. Does the exhaust stack flange fit flat to the cylinder without the gasket in place? If it is cockeyed the gasket can not get equal pressure for a good seal.

If you decide to resurface the exhaust port or rework the stack, be sure to "dry" fit the entire exhaust assembly, without the gaskets, to the engine to ensure that all of the ports still line up without any "preload" anywhere. If there is any misalignment there can be some cracking/breakage of the exhaust pipes and flange joints. Also, depending on the type of exhaust/engine combination, if one cylinder's port is machined to clean up the surface it may induce a preload on the stack assembly. This can also cause a failure. Any possible failures can occur in less than an hours running time. I've seen it happen in one trip around the traffic pattern after changing an engine. One cylinder on the new engine had the exhaust port machined smooth. This caused tension on the stack so that it broke completely around at the flange. After repairing the stack, the use of double gaskets on that cylinder fixed the problem.

Lycoming uses a steel flat washer, star washer and flat nut to hold the stack in place. These tend to rust in place from the heat. Also the exposed stud threads tend to grow hard rust ruining the thread. This causes the studs to unscrew from the cylinder when you try to take the nuts off. I have been using long brass nuts to prevent this from happening. So far, no trouble.

this looks good if its flat or level. do not grind yet,get someone that knows how to put heleycoils in (spelling) do both of them, try again.what does pipe look like? what do you mean by blown gasket?leaking by or blown out .have never seen a blown out no blow.try a lyc. gasket.

Sorry, leaks near the plug towards the rear. Since I tried cleaning it up a while ago with the studs in, it might not be level. Will dry fit stack before doing anything else. Perhaps now that the studs are off I should use a flat plate and wet dry to level/clean up or JUST KEEP MY PAWS OFF?

Last edited:
It did have rtv on it each time. I think it is pointing more towards loose studs. We have an engine shop on the field, latter this week, I'll see if the cylinder will check out the stud holes, see if they were poorly installed, need oversize, or helicoils.

Thanks again everyone!

Thank you for all of your help. I got to the hangar today and looked at the stud holes. I found that one of the holes had a broken stud from the past still inside. Further, who ever tried to remove it, did a terrible job - the hole is not straight, and part of the old stud is still there! See picture. I got the jug off and everything inside looks great. Poplar Grove Airmotive is on the field and they will properly repair the stud hole tomorrow.

Thanks again,
larry

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    809.1 KB · Views: 103
on a side note, one guy that lived on the saltwater coast and was on the beaches would coat the STUDS with red rtv first also then install & nut... then another coat of rtv... no more rusted stuck/broken studs....

Back