• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA12 Fuselage question.

TrentF

Homer AK/ Green River UT
Sorry I don't have any pics but maybe I can explain this.

Is the fuselage supposed to sweep up in the rear couple of feet?
Starts about the tail handle.

Looking at several other pa 12's they do the upsweep thing this but I am not sure if it is designed that way or not.

Had to uncover my 12 in the garage,if you are talking about the bottom of the fuselage mine does not sweep up but at the handle going back tapers sharper at that point,could not get to handle side so set empty container on floor for reference,if my photo comes through

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 155
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 153
Last edited:
The PA-12 frame assembly drawing available from the Cub Club shows the "upsweep" reference from the fuselage center line pretty clearly, with dimensions.

Accurate info here would be good. I have wondered about this for a long time. I usually check most every 12 I see and often see noticeable differences. Differences here will change horizontal tail angle and trim settings ---will it not ?????

Thanks guys!

Yes the angle would affect the tailwheel.

The bottom longerons definitely do have a little up to them.

Thanks guys!

Yes the angle would affect the tailwheel.

The bottom longerons definitely do have a little up to them.
Maybe your fuselage is bent,my 1947 PA-12 is straight across the bottom,according to Mikes post bottoms are all supposed to be straight

Maybe your fuselage is bent,...

stretched is a better term...

the lower longhorns stretch with use, especially the old soft steel fuselages like this...

and you end up shortening lower longerons under the stabilizer area to bring stabilizer travel back to spec.....

not saying bottom longeron will be strait after that, but plane will perform as designed...

Why yall gotta talk about this I was happy in my ignorance, just one more thing to check now

Mike is correct!! If you run out of trim then cut the frame and adjust (it don't take much). Works for cubs,12s, pacers, ect. Tailwheel is a different issue.
DENNY

I'll chime in on this one...

Clyde Smith wrote about this in the Cub Club newsletter a while back. He said that the upper longerons were bent up a bit on the PA-12 and are supposed to be that way from the factory. He said not to copy the dimensions from a PA-18 because the plane will not fly the same. Mike's post #3 in this thread is correct.

Back