• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Container importing a Super Cub from Netherlands to USA

AirmasterC165

Walpole NH
I’ve recently imported a 1981 Super Cub from Netherlands to New Hampshire and I thought that it would be good to write about my experiences plus the costs associated.

This particular Super Cub was a good find. In 1981 it came out of Lock Haven and spent 19 years in the US as N90943. It was exported to England in 2000 to become G-BZGD and in 2007 to Netherlands PH-FLI. The overall condition is very good having spent most of its life hangared. It has the original factory fabric and was repainted in 2007. No damage history other that an engine “shockload” at 1200 hours with close to a major overhaul, but not quite. The airplane now has 1900 total time and the engine the same. The maintenance and maintenance records was all top notch to comply with EU Annex II requirements. One advantage for me is the VAT of 21% would normally be due at sale because it was a company owned airplane being sold to an individual, but as an American citizen exporting to a non-EU country, the VAT was not due.

A deal was reached and the airplane was flown to the Vliegwerk Holland SV to dismantle and be loaded into a 20 foot shipping container. My Antwerp broker arranged the container delivery to the airfield, then the airplane was loaded in the allotted two hour window, and trucked to the Antwerp port. One week later, it was on board a container ship bound for Boston harbor. It arrived 13 days later and I was informed that US Customs wanted to x-ray the container. After five days at Boston port US Customs informed my USA broker that an intensive inspection was required. This was bad news causing more delay and of course more money. US Customs finally decided the intensive inspection was not required and two days later, my broker arranged trucking company delivered the container to my hangar in New Hampshire. My friends and I had it unloaded in less than one hour and it all arrived in perfect undamaged condition.

US Customs was really the only glitch. All inspections and fees are at my expense. After five days, if the container is still in port (even though it is delayed by Customs), each additional day costs $162. US Customs x-ray was $198, trucking for the intensive inspection area (2 blocks away) $250 but fortunately the additional trucking was not needed when the intensive inspection was cancelled. I had nightmares of the Super Cub being unloaded during the intensive inspection, damaged with no insurance to cover, but this was wasted worry.

The entire process went well and it was successful. It just takes money and time, but I would not hesitate to do it again. Now the FAA or DAR inspection is ahead for the new FAA Airworthiness.

Here are the costs in USD…

Dismantle and load container 2600
Truck container from and to Antwerp port 450
Antwerp port fees 250
Export Customs 125
Extra paperwork fees 130
Shipping Antwerp to Boston (including container cost) 2150
Insurance 230
US Customs and Border Protection Duty 68
Preparation of US Customs Entry 250
US Customs Bond and Services 225
Boston Pier Charges-Wharfage 528
US Customs x-ray fee 196
Three additional days in port (detention) 486
Truck Boston to NH 975
Total $8663

Congratulations. Glad it all worked out and no damage. Didn't realize the US had issues with the netherlands. Our government at their finest.

I now own a 1982 model N91246. It has the original fabric as well. Intending a recover shortly.

Keep in mind that you aren’t importing it! Since it was built in the US, it is just coming home. This will simply be a certification of a used airplane. Try and find a copy of the original Export C of A from when the airplane left the US as that will make things go easier. You will need to have a 100 hour inspection done within 30 days of the day your DAR comes to do the inspection. Make sure you have a Weight and balance and equipment list that reflects the current configuration. Be sure you have a full AD listing for the airframe, engine, prop, and all appliances. Make sure all the required placards are in the cockpit, a compass correction card is there, and your fuel fillers are placarded with grade and quantity.

Before the DAR can come out, you need to have the registration in hand. A copy of the application won’t cut it for certification. I would suggest that you use a title service in Oklahoma City walk it through or you may be waiting a couple months. Dixie Air Title does a good job! They will need verification from the CAA in the Netherlands that the airplane has been de-registered there.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with dhapilot, on bringing a US manufactured airplane back to the US. Yes, you must have all paperwork in order for the DAR and expect close attention to any modifications to the airplane. Fortunately my SC was a unmodified stock Cub and the biggest scrutiny from the DAR involved the seatbelts. I performed a 100hour inspection and got a ferry permit (days of old) to fly it to the DAR. This was a big money savings.

Bringing a US “N” registered aircraft from a foreign land is the easiest. A US manufactured, foreign registered aircraft from a foreign land is doable. This is worth the effort especially when you can avoid 19-22% VAT if it applies to the aircraft you are buying. The “non VAT” price is often a good value.

I have since imported two damaged Super Cubs. One is “N” registered and the other was registered in Netherlands. The Netherlands Cub has been perfectly restored by Bearhawk Builder and could not be FAA registered until ready to fly. After registration a DAR issued the Airworthiness Certificate.

............Bringing a US “N” registered aircraft from a foreign land is the easiest. .....

I would think that would be a non-event, if it's registration is still in effect.
File a bill of sale & application for registration showing the new owner--
just like if you were buying it from a guy at your own airport.

Back